Another boring newbie!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi everyone!

I have bought a red, 2001, 1.7 Puma a few days ago, with 70k on her. Looked good at first, with only few problems, but later you always notice more. I was prepared for that- well, I wasn't.

Noticed these, while checking the car out.

1. Oil level was below minimum. Guy said, he used it like that and no problems. He didn't even know that.
2. Coolant below minimum and pink deposit on the hose from radiator to engine, on the engine side. He didn't even notice it.
3. Front right tyre had 1mm depth. He didn't know.
4. Wing mirror adjuster broken and didn't move at all. Of course he had no idea.
5. Few little rust around wheel arches, where else, and bit by the left door, but all of them in the black-stage, so from distance looks like dirt/oil.

My insurance was messed up, another long story, so the guy dropped her of at my address. I thought, at least, I had a few days to sort out the problems. I was so wrong.

Long hours of work in short:

1. Put 1 litre ( 2pints) oil in straight away- just at medium level now. All of the reservoirs were low or over filled. Fixed them as well.
2. Couldn't reach the pink-deposited hose, so wanted to remove the battery holder, to have more space. After many hours work I couldn't remove battery holder plastic box, due 1 screw was so rusty, it became 1 with the screw plate. Wanted to remove the air filter box, to reach the bottom screw of the the battery holder, but that didn't move either, due one small plastic screw was stuck in the small corner and the knife didn't reach it. After hours, these gave me back ache and manly tears.
3. Wanted to change the tyre to the spare one, but lug wrench was missing. Phoned the guy up for it.
4. After 30 minutes fixed the wing mirror. The tiny screw was gone missing for 2 hours, but at least found it later.
5. Checked the rusts. Annoying, but can't do anything right now.
+1. Wanted to check spark plugs, but the plastic cover didn't come off, due 4 screws were deformed inside. No one checked them for years probably and I can't cut a straight line on the top of them, because they are behind or next to the corners. Should I cut the whole cover apart? NOT SURE WHAT TO DO...ANY ADVICE?

So after 5 days, I still haven't driven her, only 1 metre reverse and back ( the gas pedal felt WAY TOO sensitive tough). Have no idea how to feel to drive the fastest car I have ever bought and still have to wait a good few days for sure, until the filters arrive...

This is what you would call A GOOD START?

Sorry for the long post.

Sylvester said:
Hi everyone!

I have bought a red, 2001, 1.7 Puma a few days ago, with 70k on her. Looked good at first, with only few problems, but later you always notice more. I was prepared for that- well, I wasn't.

Noticed these, while checking the car out.

This is what you would call A GOOD START?

Sorry for the long post.

Hahaha, sounds about right in my experience!

Unsure what to advise on the engine cover screws as I am currently having the same headache. I haven't had a chance to search the forum myself but give it a go - I reckon every question/problem/solution there could possibly be with these cars is lurking in the archives here somewhere!

ArtfulHussy said:

Unsure what to advise on the engine cover screws as I am currently having the same headache. I haven't had a chance to search the forum myself but give it a go - I reckon every question/problem/solution there could possibly be with these cars is lurking in the archives here somewhere!

It just takes a small amount of searching. 8) http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hello and welcome to the joys of owning a grate :) but sadly a aging car :)

You'll no doubt stumble across more problems, but atleast you can come here and usualy find the help you need.

we are a pretty close nitt group here, and everyone tryes to help as best they can :)

The search feature here is a good help to :)

Unsure what to advise on the engine cover screws as I am currently having the same headache. I haven't had a chance to search the forum myself but give it a go - I reckon every question/problem/solution there could possibly be with these cars is lurking in the archives here somewhere![/quote]

Yeah, I'll do that, thanks!

Cherie said:
ArtfulHussy said:

It just takes a small amount of searching. 8) http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, I'll try that.

Cartman said:
hello and welcome to the joys of owning a grate :) but sadly a aging car :)

You'll no doubt stumble across more problems, but atleast you can come here and usualy find the help you need.

we are a pretty close nitt group here, and everyone tryes to help as best they can :)

The search feature here is a good help to :)

Thanks very much. I'm ready to fix a few problems myself and to take good care of her. Hopefully I'll avoid high bills..

Latest posts

Back