Garmin Nüvi 1490 LMT Satnav

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheVarix

Hi all,

Just bought the above mentioned sat nav and I am very pleased so far. It found an alternative route back from work and now I can avoid 2 very badly congested hotspots in London. Just for that it's worth the money.

You get traffic alerts to warn you about jams and the machine can give you alternative routes (this is why I bought it and it's a free service rather than subscription like Tom Tom's) Furthermore you get free map updates for the life of the product (with other products and bundles you must pay for your map updates)

It warns you of your speed, the speed limit of the road, it warns you about all types of speed cameras, etc...

The maps and map display are pretty clear, the navigator's voice says the name
of the street you're turning into (not all sat navs do that), there's a lane/junction view for tricky junctions.

You can select different routes according to speed, fuel consumption, etc...it's got lots of options.

The screen is 5'' and the brightness adjusts for day/night light conditions although you can adjust the brightness manually.

A big plus is that you can pair your phone and the satnav by Bluetooth so you can make and receive calls
using the sat nav (nice feature)

Battery life is about 4 hours apparently although I have not checked. You cn charge the battery via USB or car charger. You get a base sticky disk for the dashboard and the mount.

All in all a great sat nav and so far I am very pleased with it. Soon I'll have to make a trip to Birmingham from London. I'll update this post to let you know about the satnav's performance.

At the time of writing this it's £159 in Halford's but you can get it from Amazon for about £7 or £8 less. Again, as I said, I recommend this product. So far it has not given me any weird route (in London) and has lots of features (and you don't have to pay for map updates or traffic alerts like with other brands)

Nice review but I'll stick to my Tomtom that does all of the above.

Can't see the point of upgrading these as there's nothing extra I'd want mine to do than the job it was bought for i.e. getting me to point B. Maybe if it breaks but it's the first and only satnav I'll need. Unless of course they make one with an integrated hidden video camera and a data logger for hooning round tracks....lol.

Back