Howdy!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Puma

Howdy Folks

I have already made a few posts but have yet to introduce my self formally, so.....My name is Joe and I have been a Pumaholic for almost a year now!!

I first encountered the charms of the Puma when my Brother bought and drove one. It was an old tatty bird with the usual rusty arches, but despite her appearance I was still managed to be seduced by her voluptuous curves! Sadly though he eventually sold it and bought a 'YAWN' VW Golf!

However it was time for me to buy my first car (late bloomer) and I just couldn't get the thought of possibly owning a Puma out of my head, so when I finally had the pennies ready to go I had basically narrowed my choices down to 3 cars = Puma 1.7, silver or a Puma 1.7, black and finally, any Ford Puma I could get my hands on!!

It didn't take me long to find a tidy looking. low mileage one on the old internet and I immediately went about obtaining the beauty! Cut a long story short the owner led me down the garden path and pulled out of the sale due to a better offer = my heart was broken as it was in great nick plus, minus the infamous rusty arches! I spent a good week with no success trying to find a Puma of similar mileage + condition but to no avail! Just when I thought all was lost and my dream of owning a Puma was gone, I got the magic phone call from the owner of the beauty informing me that this better offer he had turned out to be made with out any readies ready to purchase MY puma! So I unmercifully exploited the situation as the owner was now desperate to sell and got a few quid knocked of it, leaving me one very happy new owner of a 1.7 2001 silver, puma in prime condition with only 68k on the clock for just £1200!!!

And we have been in love ever since - The end!

Well I wish it was the end, for the holiday period is well and truly over = leaking fuel tank (I had to change my self as described in another thread) and just recently the Heater control valve decided to take a dump = smoke bellowing out of the hood and me panicking thinking the car was on fire and even worse was going to blow up! You will be happy to know that she never blew up, however something worse happened = The AA could only tow me to the nearest garage which was an Arnold clark F(rua)ord dealer!!!!!!! Again cut a long story short, I informed the receptionist that he could ram his extortionate £100 investigation charge up his Jacksie as I already knew what was wrong with it and what part needed changing! And also supplied them with a £6 heater control valve I had obtained myself from the dismantlers, rather than have them fit their own and shaft me further! I managed to get away with only being charged £89 for an hours work!

Besides the above falling outs we have been getting swimmingly, she past her first MOT without any major issues (ABS sensor replaced) but she did come away with a few advisories = 12!

So what the future holds? I am basically going to work on small doing small maintenance Jobs I know I can accomplish myself with the help of the very informative how to guides, you Puma Guru's post on here, starting with a full service. I will eventually, money permitting be doing a full mod on her and get her HP right up there with the big boys and also maybe tart her up a bit cosmetically!

Up and coming Jobs for next time I am home are =
1) full service, with a upgrade to one of those sexy sounding KN filters
2)new tyres, plus 16' rims
3) 300mm brake upgrade, hence the 16' rims
4) new exhaust, either whole new system or just box, money permitting

and that should keep me going for 3 weeks at least!

It's a great Forum, which I am honoured to be a member off for some of the postings on here are invaluable to money strapped greenhand like me!

P.s. How the hell do I attach pictures my hardrive onto here?

Chow for now

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thumbs:

Hi Joe welcome to ProjP :eek:k:

Love the introduction! What a good read :lol:

Get some pics up of your beauty - she sounds lovely! :thumbs:

Cheers guys! and thanks to Mr Quest, here is my wee beauty =
Puma%2520the%2520day%2520I%2520bought%2520her%2521.jpg

Puma booty
Puma%2520booty.jpg

Welcome to the club fella! Clean looking Puma you have there! :grin:

ohhhhh twins my look the same as that when i bought mine and a big welcome joe

Heater control valve decided to take a dump = smoke bellowing out of the hood and me panicking thinking the car was on fire and even worse was going to blow up!

Ha, ha... Been there, done that, called the fire brigade :oops: .

But you shouldn't need a tow coz you can bypass the HCV. The AA should have been able to do that.

Hi and welcome, motor looks good.

My "buttercup" has an induction kit fitted (similar to K&N) and I have left the lower half of the airbox in place as I felt the kit was getting to much heat, am also looking at running a cold air feed now to cool it even further.

Kit sounds good plus I have junked the centre box in favour of race pipe.

Enjoy the Puma but lets not tell too many people about how good they are :grin:

luke55 said:
Heater control valve decided to take a dump = smoke bellowing out of the hood and me panicking thinking the car was on fire and even worse was going to blow up!

Ha, ha... Been there, done that, called the fire brigade :oops: .

But you shouldn't need a tow coz you can bypass the HCV. The AA should have been able to do that.

It was my first time in that situation and I was close to calling the fire brigade myself! But luckily it was just smoldering coolant and I haven't had any problems with the engine etc since (touch wood).

The fella didn't really seem interested, it must of been close to his knocking off time!

But should it happen again is it easy enough to do yourself?? As I could of saved myself close to 100 notes if I was able to get it home!

zinc2000 said:
Hi and welcome, motor looks good.

My "buttercup" has an induction kit fitted (similar to K&N) and I have left the lower half of the airbox in place as I felt the kit was getting to much heat, am also looking at running a cold air feed now to cool it even further.

Kit sounds good plus I have junked the centre box in favour of race pipe.

Enjoy the Puma but lets not tell too many people about how good they are :grin:

Sorry Mr zinc but I am not really that clued up about the technicalities of it all yet as I am a total greenhand when it comes to all things mechanical, I am learning as I go along though - one job at a time!

So what is a cold air feed? and what are the benefits of having one and is it worth my while getting one with just a standard unmodded 1.7?

A cold air feed involves having a trumpet shaped opening fitted into your lower grill with pipework that directs airflow towards an induction kits air filter.I believe the technicalities / theorys are that cold air provides better combustion and supposedly more power. An induction filter without a cold air feed is drawing in hot air from the engine bay thus producing less power.

The theory of an induction kit is I believe to speed air flow into the engine by reducing restriction. Probably on its own an induction kit will do nothing more tham make the car growl, which many folks like.

Oh look, I answered "joe_puma" without even being near my pc.....cool :grin:

Induction kit by itself does have a small benefit even on its own as more air is allowed in through a bigger surface area on the filter, this in turn makes the ecu add more fuel to enrich the now slightly weak mixture, result....slightly more power and a nice noise too sometimes.

In my case I have also removed the restrictive middle box from the exhaust system allowing the exhaust gases to escape faster, result....slightly more power.

Every little bit helps :grin:

Oh btw, "quest63" is correct on the cold air feed, the colder the air the more dense it is, denser air going in requires more fuel to go with it, result....more power...simples :grin:

zinc2000 said:
Oh look, I answered "joe_puma" without even being near my pc.....cool :grin:

Induction kit by itself does have a small benefit even on its own as more air is allowed in through a bigger surface area on the filter, this in turn makes the ecu add more fuel to enrich the now slightly weak mixture, result....slightly more power and a nice noise too sometimes.

In my case I have also removed the restrictive middle box from the exhaust system allowing the exhaust gases to escape faster, result....slightly more power.

Every little bit helps :grin:

Oh btw, "quest63" is correct on the cold air feed, the colder the air the more dense it is, denser air going in requires more fuel to go with it, result....more power...simples :grin:

Cheers for the info guys!

I take it a cold air feed is something you have to make yourself or are their kits readily available on the market£ Also should I get my mits onto one of them are they easy enough to install? (I am sure I was reading about this on a thread on here yesterday but I am not too sure :? )

Cold air feed is basically a tube directing cold air from outside the engine bay (behind spoiler for example) to the air filter/induction kit.

Kits available from likes of demon tweeks etc, come comlete with pipe, bell mouth, hose clips ready to fit or make your own

Latest posts

Back