Servo Upgrade and Master Cylinder question?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLEEMAN

hey guys
right I've removed the old crappy standard puma servo unit, and bought a Mondeo mk3 servo unit. so far it fits very well no modifications involved

however, because i'm removing the ABS can I put a Mondeo mk1 non abs master cylinder in place and just swap the bottles over?

by the way battery is in the boot so got plenty of space in the engine bay!

Hello Sleeman

The ABS, as well as stopping you skidding, sorts out the cars front/rear brake balance.
That needs addressing if binning the ABS.

I removed my ABS and have fitted brake components from a variety of similar age Fords,
I have ST200 280mm fronts and 253mm focus rears.
Also a similar servo but larger bore master cylinder, all from a mk4 non ABS Fiesta. Brakes balance is spot on.
It has 4 outlets and the two rear circuits have restrictors attached directly to the master cylinder.
I have seen the non ABS set up on other Fords which has remote restirctors but they all seem to work the same way.
you`ll need to look into just how the non abs set up works on the Mk1 Mondy, you will need to incorperate the restrictors if they`re not on the M/C.

Here`s my set-up in an empty engine bay.

I was considering braided lines from the master cylinder to all four corners, and also a brake bias valve as well.

if I was to go through the bias valve option is that for the rear brakes only or for all four?

The bias valve is for the rears.
Without it, or the reducers, the car would `over brake` on the rear.
Meaning the back end locking up under even modest braking.

You can use the master cylinder thats with the servo you have, and run the rear line through the valve.
I`d use new copper pipe with braided hoses.

Hi Stu
I could be completely wrong on this But I thought the restrictors only worked when they were placed in a horizontal plane from front to back of the car. When I got my Blue Westy I had terrible problems with different braking when I turned left or right and I eventually sussed out the restrictor was directed across the car rather than back to front. I took it out and got stable braking after that. So from this I'm assuming there is some valving that gets altered by the G forces of braking so if the valve is placed vertical it won't work.
Barry

Hello barry.
This is exactly how I removed it from the donor car,
What you used in your kit build must be a different design of restrictor.

Hi Stu
Yep you're right just checked it out in my Fezzer manual. I didn't build the blue Westy and that's why it took me ages to find the problem, I found the answer in a Haynes Sierra manual which was the comment I told you but the restrictors look exactly the same but as you said must be of a different design.
Barry

Latest posts

Back