Puma mileage - Revisited.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigsby

Back in Nov 2013 "roymcg" did a post on the Highest and lowest mileage on our Puma's. I though it would be worth revisiting as our cars are getting older, to see what mileage people have on their Puma's now.

In terms of outright records, I don't think there will be many that will beat the 250K that "lusid666" posted in April 2015 or especially the one that "Wild E. Coyote" had dealings with back in Nov 2011 with 409,812 kms (254,645 miles), I wonder if that one is still running? But it will be interesting to get an idea of your vehicle's mileage.

Mine are: Thunder(bird) 1 [Reg, Dec 2001] = 68,935
Thunder(bird) 2 [Reg, Jan 2002] = 128,743

Are there many other Thunder owners on here?

Quite a few in the Thunder Puma thread:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25990&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My mother owns a 1998 1.4 with 190,000 miles on the clock. 1 service since new, and completely untouched. No major work done! Still going strong just a bit of rust on the arches and sills!

I bet the oil in that is lovely... :lol:

I think Richard Mansfield's sub 14000 miler will get the low trophy, unless there's one in a barn somewhere.

TGPlayer1 said:
I think Richard Mansfield's sub 14000 miler will get the low trophy, unless there's one in a barn somewhere.
14,000 miles WOW, hardly used..!!! He must never use it? Is it only used for shows and stuff?

Have a gander at this http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=27846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rigsby said:
especially the one that "Wild E. Coyote" had dealings with back in Nov 2011 with 409,812 kms (254,645 miles), I wonder if that one is still running?

That car is still running. I saw it advertised as having done 200.000 kms (someone obviously tweaked the actual mileage on that car) and to the best of my knowledge the car is still being used as a daily... Don't know the mileage now

There seems to be quite a few people with lower mileage Puma's. I am amazed 14K, 19K, 26k..! That Richard Mansfield's thread is incredible. And I have not seen Peter Bowman's FRP...

I guess the mileage you would perhaps expect most Puma's to be sitting between (if you assume that 10k is the average annual mileage), may be around 130k (2002) to 180k (1997), although I would expect that they would be generally lower than that as the annual mileage tends to tail off as a car gets older...

It's also hard to believe that the earlier ones are now 18 years old!

As of 2014 Q4, it appears that there are just 21,679 licensed Pumas and 3,445 SORN (25,124) left in the UK, which at it's peak in 2002 was 52,950 - that is less than half. And there are less than 500 of the 1997 models still registered... :-(

rigsby said:
And there are less than 500 of the 1997 models still registered... :-(
The Arch Bishop's is '97 and so is mine (69,800)

Sheer economics is the usual reason for the demise of older cars, i.e. cost to repair major items, and that's really either engine blowing up (get your cam belt or else) or structural/vital rust repairs - brake lines, sills, floorpan, etc.

One thing mine is never going to do is rust, the rest is in the lap of the gods. :)

TGPlayer1 said:
Here's one I've always wondered. Did Pumas come out on a P or R plate?
They hit the market right on the plate change. So P plate - which were all garage (silver?) demonstrators and there was only a dozen or so of them, so I'm told. The buying public ones are R plate.

To delight Dai Dal, our Welsh Admin, here's his favourite car presenter pausing in mid-sentence and then dropping his voice as usual, whilst showing.....................a P plate Puma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_lG4GZNsM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank said:
They hit the market right on the plate change. So P plate - which were all garage (silver?) demonstrators and there was only a dozen or so of them, so I'm told. The buying public ones are R plate.
Frank, I guess those P Plate's (registered between 1 Aug 96 to 31 Jul 97) must have been pre-production models just for the dealers to tout (garage demonstrators), as we know the factory didn't start full production until September '97 (R Plate), which would explain the very low numbers. I wonder if anybody on here knows of any of them still existing?

It was also interesting to hear Clarkscum saying the engines were shipped from Spain to Japan and then back to Spain to be put in the car? I know the cylinder blocks were rough-machined in Spain and sent to Yamaha where the aluminium cylinders were NiCaSil bore-plated (the part of the process that takes 20-25 mins) and who then continued to built the engines with parts sourced from Japan and Europe. I was under the impression that the completed engines were then shipped from Japan to Ford's Cologne plant where all the Puma's were assembled. What's this, lazy, sensationalist and inaccurate journalism from Clarkscum? No never.... ;-)

My V-Plate (registered late 99) has got 73,195 on it.

Thought that was pretty low, having picked it up from the garage a fortnight ago, but some of those mileages above beggar belief, Jesus! Same with the top-enders, 250k miles and still going strong is class.

Frank said:
To delight Dai Dal, our Welsh Admin, here's his favourite car presenter pausing in mid-sentence and then dropping his voice as usual, whilst showing.....................a P plate Puma.

Welsh? How very dare you! :p You probably don't know how funny that is regarding Puma owners club admin.... :lol:

At first I thought they were barking asking £2995 for a lowly 1400, but then I scrolled to the second photo.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-4i-Coupe-1998-/381370636191?nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2001 Puma 1.7 36108 miles at MOT today. Never welded and still with rust free bodywork including rear arches.

Latest posts

Back