Aftermarket fleabay or other petrol tanks and fuel pumps

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest63

Has anyone got any personal experience / recommends of /for ebay / other after market fuel tanks for Pumas in particular late model Puma's.

I have previously heard stories of standard oem fuel pump sender units not fitting into them.

Also has anyone got any personal experience / recommends of just changing a non functioning fuel pump rather than replacing the whole pump sender unit.

Basically my pump seems to have failed on my 02 Puma and I may want to take the opportunity to put a new tank on and change the brake lines which was planned anyway.

Cheers in advance

No reason why an aftermarket one won't suit although I'm always wary of people who list one type for the whole date range as they're definitely not the same throughout all builds.

My problem exactly :thumbs:

I asked the same question years ago in regard to another car but back then I didn't find anyone who had bought / fitted one.

Anything specific? I heard two stories the first from years ago was that the tank was too shallow for the pump to fit and the more recent one was that the pump didn't fit properly around the top of the tank.

Questy, I had to snip the lip of the swirl bowl inside the tank to get the sender to fit properly - 2 minute job after I figured it out! That as the fleabay special one

Paul

Thanks Paul what year was your car? and do you still have the link for that particular tank?

I assume your gauge worked fine after it was fitted?

What does a swirl bowl / pot do anyway?

Mines a 2000 on a W....and this is the exact tank I bought...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-1998-2002-PETROL-INJECTION-FUEL-TANK-BRAND-NEW-/330788607025?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item4d04899431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swirl pot keeps fuel over the fuel pump inlet so that when you go round a corner it doesnt all drain to one side!!

Comes with a new gasket and everything worked fine after fitting.

I can confirm what Orchid has said.

I've just changed the tank on mine and as mentioned, the pump didn't fit because the swirl pot hasn't been welding in quite the right position.
I bent my swirl pot slightly to allow the pump to fit and the fuel gauge works as it should.

So if you don't mind a bit of modification work then I say go for it.

This was the one I ordered.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221846705361?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bargain :shock: its maybe not the correct picture but did you have to modify the fuel inlet pipe as it seems to be a female connector rather than the male connector on the Puma tank?

All I modified waste the swirl pot and trimmed about 3 inches from the breather hose.
Oh and on the replacement tank there's no bracket for the fuel filter so you'll have to transfer it from your old tank.

All I modified waste the swirl pot and trimmed about 3 inches from the breather hose.
Oh and on the replacement tank there's no bracket for the fuel filter so you'll have to transfer it from your old tank.

Not that I noticed... Unless it's still in the box and I didn't look properly :lol:

Latest posts

Back