intermittent starting..engine light on

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewjeffs

For a while my 1.7 puma has had a intermittent starting problem.It seems to always start first time,but if you turned the engine off and quickly,then restarted,it will sometimes just wind and wind and eventually fire up under protest..
Never broke down,never failed to start.

However now the engine light has come on and wont go out,car seems to be running fine?

I am thinking possible cam/crank sensor dodgy?..would this throw the light on?

That restart after just starting is a "feature" You need to fully press the accelerator down and try to start again. It'll do the same if the car is hot and you try and start straight away again. It's mentioned in the manual.

Engine light could be anything and might not be related to the above.

I find that if i turn on the ignition and wait a few seconds before starting the car it solves the issue. Its like the fuel system needs to be pressurized before the car will start.

yes lol... put to igniton position 2... wait a couple of second (i wait till lights go out), and start... never had a problem after a hot start... i still manage to kill the engine now and then... ignition to zero, and right after full ignition... works like charm :) no problem here...

Back