aircon drainage blockage? now plus sheared spigot

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest63

I have heard it said that there is a drain that can get blocked that causes water / moisture in the passenger footwell in relation to the aircon.

Where is the drain and how do you unblock it?

It is in the centre of your car, attached to the central ventilation and heating unit (the big black thing in the centre of your console. You lift up the carpet, reach under it and you will see the black rubber hose, about 1 cm OD. It is odd shaped and looks like a dogleg. It is that twist that causes the blockage.
If you go under the car, you will find the end of the hose just in the middle of the car.
Anyway, the hose ca be detached just by pulling it from the central heating unit. Then you pull it from the floor and clean it outside of a car. I hit with its upper end (turned it upside-down) the floor and all the dirt just started to fall out.
Hope it helps

Cheers peeps, I located it today and concur its odd shape i.e two 90 degree bends is likely causing the problem although some water does drip out below the car it must be slowing the flow.

So there are no clips or fixings it just pulls out of the hole in the floor? and pulls off the heater unit?

Cheers :thumbs:

No clips, nothing, just pull it gently, but strongly i.e. no jerking or you might break it. The water is dripping, but it should be pouring without the blockage! You'll see it full of dirt; about half a kilo fell out of mine!

Edit, not sure, but I think I have used a pliers or some tools. Can't remember. Sorry

UPDATE

I did indeed have a very blocked drain tube how any water was draining out under the car is a mystery as I couldn't blow any air through it. It did have a clamp on the airbox end one of those ford ones I usually replace with a jubilee clip.

Unfortunately this brings me to my next problem I sheared off the nipple / spout that the tube clamps to and need some suggestions for a fix.

I don't think gluing it back on is going to give me the water tight seal I need so I'm looking for suggestions for some kind of plumbing or air connector to screw in.

The tricky bit is that it will need to screw in but have drain holes in its shaft as the water wont drain if its hole is above the bottom of the inner surface of the airbox.

Alternatively any other suggestions are gratefully received

Fairly sure its low pressure so you don't need anything particulary fancy.

Not got a heater box to hand so I can't check but if you're OK with a glue-related solution I might be able to chop out that entire portion from a box and glue to that, so you're not getting it anywhere close to the drain route.

Cheers guys, I've gone the glue route currently which seems to be firmly in place, its not spewing water out into the passenger footwell anymore but weirdly neither is it dripping out the tube under the car either, at least not that I have noticed yet.

Yep CherryV I was thinking of something like the threaded male connector except it would have to have had holes or slots in the thread to let the water out or water wouldn't drain till it got above the height of the thread.

Great idea Ian if the current fix fails that sounds like a good option

Hopefully you've for it fixed.

I only found that fitting as a suggestion, but it's hard to see what someone actually needs without seeing the problem for yourself.

Pumber Thunder is now weeing through the hole she's supposed to and not wetting herself anymore :)

I cant take the credit KIZZA and his superglue did the deed, I just directed. But Spielberg would have been proud :grin:

Latest posts

Back