Antifreeze (link fixed)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve18

As I was putting the battery back in after a recharge (left inside light on!) I noticed that the coolant was very low (pink). Just want to know if this stuff from Halfords is ok or if I need to take it back and get something else.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-5-litres" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for any info.

This is the stuff if the link is creating problems -

HALFORDS OAT READY MIXED ANTIFREEZE 5 LITRES

The Halfords Ready Mixed Anti Freeze & Coolant is silicate free with Organic Acid Technology (OAT) for superior engine protection.

It is ready mixed so requires no dilution and it can be used all year round as a coolant and as anti freeze with a temperature range of +108C to -34C.

HALFORDS OAT READY MIXED ANTIFREEZE 5 LITRES EXTRA INFO

5 Year Life
Suitable for all year round - anti freeze / summer coolant
Temperature range from +108C / -34C
Silicate free, organic acid technology (OAT) for superior engine protection
Compatible with all vehicle manufacturers' colours of OAT coolants
Enhanced corrosion protection

Hi Steve.
That stuff will be fine in your Puma.
The cars capacity is 4.5 ltrs.
I would recommend draining all your old coolant from the plug on your radiator (with filler cap off)
Youll be set for whatever the winter throws at you ;-)

Thanks TBS, now it's finding the leak. Tried taking the engine cover off to see if plugs are affected but 2 of the screws are stripped so it stays on for now, nothing is simple!

Coolant capacity (including heater) is 6 litres. Mix should be 50%/50%.

If you're only draining the radiator, then mix the coolant first. I only got about 60% of the coolant out via the radiator, the rest was hiding in the engine block behind the thermostat and in the heater matrix. If you pour the anti freeze in neat, you'll probably end up with the mixture too strong.

Typical non-obvious leak points tend to be the Thermostat housing (under the alternator) and the little water-block that sits just under the coil-pack.

Good luck!

steve18 said:
Thanks TBS, now it's finding the leak. Tried taking the engine cover off to see if plugs are affected but 2 of the screws are stripped so it stays on for now, nothing is simple!

hi steve i had the same problem with my engine cover so i got some easy outsyou get them from ebay for about £4. drilla guide hole where your allen key heads have rounded off should be only slightly bigger than the allen key nuts then just put the one on the drill use reverse on the drill and as it drills in it will start to grip, then the old allen key nut should come out easy. hope this helps you

I have been using the pink stuff following a thermostat-housing leak about a year or 18 months ago. Yesterday, it went again. The thermostat seal has the consistency of soft liquorice/black chewing gum. I can only think that it is the anti-freeze.

Further to the above - the pink antifreeze I was sold by Bennets of Hatfield as being suitable for a Ford is in fact VW antifreeze and not at all suitable. I found this out when I drove to London today. Near Hammersmith, the Puma started steaming again. Under the bonnet the pipe from the header tank to the block was leaking at the joint with the block and felt soft. I put in 4 pints of water and drove on. After about 20 minutes in London traffic I did the same again. Looked again, and one of the heater hoses could have gone as well. :( I drove back 40 miles with one stop with the header tank cap off (to stop pressure) and refilled again.

It looks as if all the hoses are rotten... This might be the end of the Puma...

Back