2014 trackday meets?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Link to the thread regarding Brands Hatch on Monday 03rd November.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=167&t=26030&p=325244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord B said:
grayfox said:
Loved the SW circuit, GT can only be better but it just has nothing on a real motorsport circuit (mainly because its dead flat) been hearing from many that nothing can match the thrill dips and curves of Brands :)

Brands is a fantastic circuit, even the Indy is an absolute hoot, being local have driven it numerous times, although not done yet in Puma, will just wait till end of Nov/Dec when next week off, and see whats available, at a 1/2 decent price, never done bedford, and fits in with my week/weekend off

Fair play, I would pick Bedford over brands all the time outside of the Nov-Feb period as it can almost be double the price!

This may sound like a stupid question but....
I have booked a javelin track day at Croft on the 1st December just to shake the car down before we do the Christmas stages also at Croft.
Last time I did a track day all you needed was a helmet. Is this still case?

Puma_Sam said:
Afternoon,

Just booked Cadwell for the 1st October £99 for open pitlane day session, was hoping to see if any of you lot will be there?
How did you get on Sam?

well I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlCgQrNE1Tc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh dear :!: I think that taking advantage of the tuition available would of got you up to speed sooner. The engine didn't Sound right for a few laps before it let go. Was the oil low or been checked? Maybe it was just weak, though the extra lap while it was rattling wouldn't have helped. Hope you get a fresh engine sorted and get back out on track soon

Afternoon!

Indeed, i did not get on very well as you can see...

Myself and stepdad were taking it in turns. I only timed one lap which was 8 seconds faster that he was. it was around 2:04 which is pretty sh1t.

I gave the car everything once the tyres were warm (got very greedy on the first outing and tried full beans from the off on cold rubber) but it just did not respond. so so very slow on the straights and screamed at me most of the time. engine oil was fresh (4 days prior) and was at the correct level.

I spent most of my time ducking out of the way and moving over for others to pass, so a good lap was difficult to string together.

I went over and spoke to another Puma owner who had done pretty much the same basic mods as i have. he was getting around 110mph on the straights where i was struggling to hit 85mph+...

Given this, i could only assume the engine was knackered regardless of what id to it (within reason). proof was in the pudding when going into charlies the needle just started to plummet and the on park straight it gave up. (The Soft Top TVR behind was not impressed! given the rather large cloud of oil smoke)

It made me think that i'd give up on the puma as it was underpowered, BUT - It was awesome around hall bends and the hairpin... if the other standard puma was hitting around 110mph. maybe i have just dropped on a bad/tired engine and should give another one ago?

difficult decision, especially when i got overtaken by absolutely everything even when giving it hell.

Two minds at the moment, need convincing otherwise before sacking it off for something else. :-(

Sam, stick with the Puma. 1. They are cheap to source 2. Parts are cheap 3. Performance parts are cheap 4. A half decent one will beat a lot of cars round a lot of tracks

Getting top speed out of the Pumas is all about corner exit speed and Cadwell is a very technical circuit where you need to carry momentum all the time. 20 minutes spent with the instructor would have really made a big difference, they always find you some extra speed no matter how good a driver you are.

That said, the engine didn't sound like it was on full song at any point. There was a few cars that passed you that you would normally fly past. Great video though

Hi Sam, I must agree with noobrider, The puma is a great little track car and even your blown engine is quite easy to find a replacement and fix (try it with an M3!)
Remember, trackdays are not about who goes fastest, its who has the biggest grin :lol:
Haring through the twisties and climbing all over much more expensive tackle is a real buzz.

On another note, I've only seen 110 at Silverstone. So I think the other puma driver may have been stretching the truth a little...

Puma_Sam said:
Afternoon!

Myself and stepdad were taking it in turns. I only timed one lap which was 8 seconds faster that he was. it was around 2:04 which is pretty sh1t.

I gave the car everything once the tyres were warm (got very greedy on the first outing and tried full beans from the off on cold rubber) but it just did not respond. so so very slow on the straights and screamed at me most of the time. engine oil was fresh (4 days prior) and was at the correct level.

I spent most of my time ducking out of the way and moving over for others to pass, so a good lap was difficult to string together.

I went over and spoke to another Puma owner who had done pretty much the same basic mods as i have. he was getting around 110mph on the straights where i was struggling to hit 85mph+...

Given this, i could only assume the engine was knackered regardless of what id to it (within reason). proof was in the pudding when going into charlies the needle just started to plummet and the on park straight it gave up. (The Soft Top TVR behind was not impressed! given the rather large cloud of oil smoke)

It made me think that i'd give up on the puma as it was underpowered, BUT - It was awesome around hall bends and the hairpin... if the other standard puma was hitting around 110mph. maybe i have just dropped on a bad/tired engine and should give another one ago?

difficult decision, especially when i got overtaken by absolutely everything even when giving it hell.

Two minds at the moment, need convincing otherwise before sacking it off for something else. :-(
Don't let them see you with a stop watch.Supposed not to be any timing at trackdays.!!Pumas are good fun on track as long as the straights aren't too long as they do run out of steam above 80mph.

In 4th they run out steam above 80 but the way the speed rockets from 70-90 in 5th always surprises me!

I get 110's at Cadwell both through Park and the start finish straight...even 100 in the wet. Its all about carrying speed through the corners. Admittedly, the Pumas don't have the punch but they carry speed through the bends well which feeds the straights. Do Coppice at full tilt, takes guts but the Puma will go through without braking or changing down. I'm back there on the 31st and looking forward to a dry track.... Cadwell has been my unlucky track, first time I blew a clutch there, next time engine blew the day before... hopefully this time will be trouble free

Noobrider said:
Sam, stick with the Puma. 1. They are cheap to source 2. Parts are cheap 3. Performance parts are cheap 4. A half decent one will beat a lot of cars round a lot of tracks

Getting top speed out of the Pumas is all about corner exit speed and Cadwell is a very technical circuit where you need to carry momentum all the time. 20 minutes spent with the instructor would have really made a big difference, they always find you some extra speed no matter how good a driver you are.

That said, the engine didn't sound like it was on full song at any point. There was a few cars that passed you that you would normally fly past. Great video though

4 decent points there I guess.

No, the engine did seem poor from the off and was inevitable that at some point, it was going to give up.

There is the smallest of holes in the engine casing where a bolt holds two sections together, somewhat a weak point.

The exhaust (which looked okay initially) burnt two rather large holes in itself and would have helped lose power + made it sound even worse...

i was at times struggling to carry any speed anywhere given that most of the time i was off the racing line due to letting others past... very annoying to see a standard SEAT pass me. it was par of the course that i couldnt get a clear lap in.

Any one know of any engines going around the south yorkshire/north derbyshire area?

trublustu said:
Hi Sam, I must agree with noobrider, The puma is a great little track car and even your blown engine is quite easy to find a replacement and fix (try it with an M3!)
Remember, trackdays are not about who goes fastest, its who has the biggest grin :lol:
Haring through the twisties and climbing all over much more expensive tackle is a real buzz.

On another note, I've only seen 110 at Silverstone. So I think the other puma driver may have been stretching the truth a little...

I know Stu, i guess the disappointment is still running high.

I never wanted to be fastest on the straights and i knew that was never going to be the case. no fun in flooring it on the straights if you have to go round the corners like a milk truck.

Through the mountain and up to hall bends were so much fun, didnt care for much else of the track (bar gooseneck) as you just have to get off the racing line and let them past. They even say you have to move over up chris curve which F**ks everything up as then you are too slow into the gooseneck and on the wrong line.

gingerdave said:
Puma_Sam said:
Afternoon!

Don't let them see you with a stop watch.Supposed not to be any timing at trackdays.!!Pumas are good fun on track as long as the straights aren't too long as they do run out of steam above 80mph.

We could take the time from the camera footage, as well as this there is a GPS app which identifies that you are on a track (due to the loop) stick this in the handle of the fuse board cover/trouser pocket and it is very accurate. - Yes i agree, pretty pleased i never chose mallory as it would have been dismal there.

Noobrider said:
I get 110's at Cadwell both through Park and the start finish straight...even 100 in the wet. Its all about carrying speed through the corners. Admittedly, the Pumas don't have the punch but they carry speed through the bends well which feeds the straights. Do Coppice at full tilt, takes guts but the Puma will go through without braking or changing down. I'm back there on the 31st and looking forward to a dry track.... Cadwell has been my unlucky track, first time I blew a clutch there, next time engine blew the day before... hopefully this time will be trouble free

Maybe with a new engine i can experience some of this! Coppice is full tilt everytime but i was having to gear down unto 3rd as 4th wouldnt carry enough speed...maybe this helped her bang :(

Clutch gone through the mountain and up the hill i guess Noob? given i had the rest of the day to watch, i could enjoy the smell of a few burning clutches down there!

good luck, hope it goes without drama - you too Stu!

Yes Sam, clutch blew on the mountain....

The thing with track days is no one is allowed to overtake on a corner so always take your racing line regardless. Don't let a faster car behind you compromise your corner, he can pass on the straight afterwards. Getting off the racing line will slow them down as well as you as they have to wait for you to get round the corner before they can start to overtake.

The exception at Cadwell is the Esses before Goosneck where there is plenty of space to pass, otherwise they just have to wait for either the start finish straight or Park or just before the mountain on that short straight. Can be frustrating sometimes, I had a Clio Cup car I was chasing hard through every corner, I was much faster but he would pull away on the straights, I eventually got past him but it took a couple of laps.

Back