Halford's Extreme Brilliance bulbs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Went to Halfords yesterday to get the new Extreme Brilliance bulbs that they are now doing in HB3 / 9005 format.

Now when Rick (YOG) mentioned that Halfords were now doing the Extreme Brilliance, I had to get some. I'd had the Super Brilliance ones before the crappy ebay specials in now and was generally happy with them as I thought they did have a better intensity and length of beam compared to the standard bulbs. (Cherie has them in Millie so I know what they look like still)

(Just the packaging so you know what colour they are to look for - remember to get the ones that have 9005 EB / HB3 on them)

car_photo_289161_7.jpg

My empty packet: -linky-

I had the blue type of 100w ebay specials -link- in there for the last while and was disappointed with the distance they projected as well as the general dullness of the light. I'd put it at 75% as good as standard bulbs in my opinion.

I took some pictures with the same camera settings (F22 / 2 second exposure) of the difference:

100w Blue bulbs:

Halfords Extreme Brilliance (Rated at 60w on them):

I'd say in fairness that the Super Brilliance were halfway between the above two images.

Now before anyone says that it's not a fair comparison between stand bulbs and these new Extreme Brilliance ones, I went out to the countryside in total darkness to see just what they are really like. I was blown away (as far as you can be with car bulbs) it was almost as though I wasn't in a Puma but a car with proper headlights. Cherie also saw the noticeable difference to her Millie that has the Halford's Super Brilliance as mine did a while ago.

They may not be cheap at £24.99 each (Currently on a BOGOF though) but with the longer nights and bad weather on the way, I'd totally recommend them. You will see the difference.

Usefull bit of info there mate. All ways found it odd they never made the super dooper ones for the puma. Will defo be looking into them, have allways got on well with the super brilliance so these should be even better :eek:k:

each of my local stores only had 2 of each!

so had to made a few trips! still on BOGOF as well £24.99 each!

defo brighter than ones on ebay!

I;d just brought the super brillance, so had to exchange for extreme ones :)

I'll definitely be getting me some of these in the next few days. The super brilliance are good, but we've all just been secretly hanging around waiting for the extreme brilliance to appear! :)

Dal said:
it was almost as though I wasn't in a Puma but a car with proper headlights.

Thats got to be the best line there! :lol: I've had the super brilliance in my car since april and they're fine for now. I would ideally like the extreme ones, like you say, it at least makes the car feel normal. But im a bit skint atm, so only spending money on the things at the top of my list. Maybe i'll get some for xmas! :p :oops:

deffo see the difference... :eek:k:

However I'll be sticking with my crappy ebay bulbs lol... can see just fine with them

Am very tempted...as these do look like good quality bulbs. And they'd be even better with my new headlight units :p

But I can't see the point if my car's not going to see a winter, and it rarely goes out at night anways.

I'll be sticking to my crappy ebay bulbs too - they look nice and match my sidelights better :-D

The Halfords range of brilliance bulbs are very good quality indeed, I have had them in many of my previous cars.

Midnight Blue said:
I now have the Extreme in my dips and the Super (which I only bought a couple of weeks ago) in the main beams.

I will probably follow suit with something like that also....

I can get by fine on the Supers in my dipped beam, although a little more light wouldn't hurt.

I was out tonight with my camera :)
I wonder what they would be compared to my head lights.
Dip Beam
IMG_7004.jpg

Main Beam.
IMG_7003.jpg

You can see the orange from the normal halogen bulbs.
I don't use main beam very often now :wink:

On the road they look very similar to your 1st photo DB, possibly better, but that may just be the headlight level adjustment :eek:k:

Dal said:
On the road they look very similar to your 1st photo DB, possibly better, but that may just be the headlight level adjustment :eek:k:
Could be the angle as the camera is on the cars roof??
I wouldn't want the head lights any higher as I think I would be blinding other drivers. :wink:
As it is, If I'm following another car, you can see my light shining on signs ahead of us. (the colour gives it away)

It's a joy to drive in the dark these days :D

these must be new as the wife works for halfords and didnt know they did them as she wanted them for her puma lol
her store must not have em yet.

As it is, If I'm following another car, you can see my light shining on signs ahead of us. (the colour gives it away)
:D

Mine does that with standard bulbs. :grin:

Dogsbody said:

The Xenon bulb has a blue tint which filters out this orange colour to produce pure white (you don't actually see the blue).

Mark1 said:
Dogsbody said:

The Xenon bulb has a blue tint which filters out this orange colour to produce pure white (you don't actually see the blue).
Yes, but my main beam bulbs are normal Halogen.
Dipped beam is 6000K HID :wink:

They are both on together on main beam...

If anyone needs H1 bulbs 55watt +50% or blue tint get down to Lidl pack of 2 for £3.99, Halfrauds £14.99 each. Good for spotlights.

well thats just gay, i went to halfords near me .... tryign to get these cause they are buy1 get 1 free, but for some reason they said that they dont do them for pumas lol? i was confused ...

Back