Car will not start

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart17

My puma 1998 1700cc was starting fine. I was starting it on my drive every day. but not running it. One day it turned over and died as if flooded. I have not put any new fuel in in the past year. The battery has also run flat with car sitting.What I have noticed is when I charge the battery there is no alarm sounding. As in disconnecting battery and reconnecting. This car had to get keys made for it by the key man who programmed plain keys for me. So these are solid keys and not remote. I do not know if he should have done this as I was at work at the time. It cost me £120. The spark plugs are sparking. I do not know ehere the fuel line goes into engine or where the fuel cut off swich is. Any help would be appreciated as it is ready for an MOT. Just need to get it going.Car still turns over but no kick.

The fuel cut off is in the foot well on the passenger side. If you look in the foot well on the door side you should see a black circular cap covering the cut off switch.

You could also turn ignition on but don't turn car over, do you hear a humming sound for approx 2 seconds? If not could be fuel pump that has gone.

Again turn ignition on with bonnet up there is a valve like on a bike wheel at the end of the injector rail, press valve to check for fuel.

Might be an idea to empty old fuel and replace with fresh

Seg

Try putting jump leads on the battery from another running car and hold the cranking for about 10 seconds to clear flooding, should spark into life, if no joy then as above make sure petrol is getting through and remove spark plugs and give a little clean, this also gives the fuel a chance to evaporate

Thanks for the help. I have changed fuel pump also checked the cut off in door well. I have put jump leads on it. Still no hum from fuel pump and no petrol going to engine. Someone told me it would be the key coding. They are solid keys and car turns over. I am at my wits end. I have been trying to get it going for months any ideas.

Have you changed the fuel pump fuse? Its a number 10 all on its own in the engine bay fuse box

I'd give the Idle Air Control Valve a good clean with some carb cleaner, too :eek:k:

These valves can play up, especially when they're full of gunk.

Thanks for all the replies. Ist fuel pump was seized changed it car still did not start. Changed the blown 10 amp fuse under bonnet still did not start . Took off fuel cut off switch in foot well and put a loop of copper wire into the 2 terminals. Car started right away.Tried the cut off switch again car would not start therefore switch must be broken. If it was not for this forum I would still be trying to get it going.

I have a fuel cut off switch i just took off my car if you are interested? £10 posted to your door... (if your in the UK that is) let me know and i will fish it out... :cool:

Latest posts

Back