Airbag warning light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujipuma

Following an accident in which the airbag was deployed, I changed the airbag. The warning light stayed on continuously, so I changed the module. The warning light now flashes the code for the pretensioner (4 flashes), about 6 times and then stays on continuously. Is this normal, or does it mean the module is still at fault? Thanks

Did you make sure the module is correct for the age of your car?

I once put a clock spring from a later model on mine and it wasn't compatible and threw up the warning light.

tuonokid said:
[post]352095[/post] Did you replace the pre-tensioner?
Barry
Good call Barry.

Possibly the pre-tensioner fired along with the airbag....

Fujipuma.. look at the seatbelts. They may be covered with a convoluted/ribbed plastic. If it is scrunched/squashed up the pre-tensioner has fired and needs replacing.

They should look like this...

Pre-tensioner_zpseflc1hrv.jpg

If you have an early Puma, I'm pretty sure they don't have pre-tensioners....

Thanks, CherryVimto,
Mine is 2000, and it has pretensioners, both of which have fired. Not yet replaced. But my question was - having replaced the module ( because the warning light was on continuously), I then get the code for the pretensioners, which goes off after a while to be replaced by a continuous light, as before. Is this normal, or is the module still faulty?

The module is correctly reporting that the tensioners have fired.

Changeover September 99 so your 2000 registered car could well have either if its an early build.

Thanks everybody - most helpful. I just have to take the seats off, I presume, and change the pre-ten.

fujipuma said:
[post]352161[/post] Thanks everybody - most helpful. I just have to take the seats off, I presume, and change the pre-ten.

Yeah 5 off 10mm on the subframe, unplug the tensioner and remove the seat from the car. Plastic trim on the side of the seat unclips and you'll see a Torx T50 bolt in the corner of the tensioner, remove that and its free aside from the wiggling to get it out from behind the plastic cover and the wiring which will be routed through the subframe.

Pay careful attention to the part number as they're identical apart from the first letter being X or Y and the writing is so small they look the same anyway. Double check on the build date when you buy.

Latest posts

Back