Over revving unless stationary

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moocub

Hi there
I've been searching and have found lots of information on over revving pumas, it seems pretty common but haven't found anything which matches my fault specifically.
I have a 2000 Puma 1.7
My car idles at between 3000-4000 revs when you dip the clutch, but, as soon as the vehicle becomes stationary the idle quickly returns to normal.
The fault is consistent with these symptoms
I have a code reader and it had a fault for throttle position sensor, but if that was faulty why would if the car is moving or stationary make any difference. I've cleared that fault and I will recheck tomorrow to see if the fault has returned and check the values.
I have cleaned out the idle air control valve, throttle body and made sure the throttle is closing correctly and no breather or vacuum hoses appear to be split or collapsed.
I disconnected the battery and it stopped faulting for a few miles but then once again returned.
I've read about power steering pressure sensor wiring breaking so I'll check that tomorrow too.
As my symptoms seem very specific I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this fault as there appears to be a wealth of knowledge on here

just to add i had this problem and it turned out to be the power steering pressure sensor , bottom underneath left of car

Moocub said:
Hi there
I've been searching and have found lots of information on ...
That's the Internet for you, either information overload or a deafening silence.

I'm trying a new approach of instead of following a list of 'Could be (insert list of 12 possibles)' as I would have done in the old days, of instead assuming that error codes are right and zooming in on just that. Worked so far, but time will tell.

Moocub said:
I have a code reader and it had a fault for throttle position sensor, but if that was faulty why would if the car is moving or stationary make any difference
Because the computer (ECU) is both reactive and proactive, but if the information it gets is wrong then so will be the reaction.

Moocub said:
I've read about power steering pressure sensor wiring breaking
That indeed is a possible. But, if so, then why no PSPS P055* DTC codes showing up?

I've noted your error code, your symptoms and what you've already done. So, I hit the Net going on just that code and ignoring all the other 'could bes'. This seems the most likely - http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98605&view=findpost&p=905660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I'd spray the TPS socket and multiplug contacts with contact cleaner and test, before taking that copper wire fix route.

Be interesting to see if this error code only route pays off, but I just figure it's too cold to do the usual 'try it and see' methods. (knowing my luck, your problem will be your spare wheel carrier coming loose or something :) )

Back