Immobiliser? Help appreciated.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-whizz

Hi there,

Anyone able to help with a solution for this?

Having problems starting my Puma. First the central locking required multiple attempts to open and close vehicle and then just locked me out. Went in through the boot and managed to open it up but tripped alarm. Read up and reprogrammed the fob which resolved the central locking issue and it's back to normal, however, it seems now the immobiliser is preventing the engine from starting as tried several times but it won't fire up?
It's a 2001, with the three button RF system and I only have the one key fob. Any idea how to progress this? Many thanks, G.
Edit: The red immobiliser light is solid then goes off once key turned, while the car battery light is staying on (if relevant) I read just now that with the PATS system there needs to be two keys programmed or the immobiliser kicks in, but if that the case not sure how have been driving it the past two years as only ever had the one fob?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for coming back to me... it's a 2001.

Yeah realise the two systems are different, just wondering (if the info on the PATS system kicking in the immobiliser if it can only read one key is correct?) if by reprogramming the key to make the central locking work again it has suddenly "realised" as it were that there is only one?
Not sure if that is possible, and the central locking and non-starting problems might be totally independent but odd that one immediately followed the other?

Cheers,G.

The ECU will recognise as two transponders by default, which should be your two keys.

If the spare is lost then disregard that.

Programming the key to work the locking won't change anything in the ECU. When you cycle the ig to enter programming mode you are telling the GEM unit behind the fuse box to expect a radio signal and to allow that signal to open the doors in future.

Only thing I can think of is that it won't start if it thinks its still locked, as per climbing in through the boot. That should sort itself out after you lock and unlock a few times though.

Hi,

Only ever had the one key and have locked and unlocked it quite a few times since the reprogramme but no joy starting still.
When I put the key in the ignition and turn it the red immobiliser light goes out as it should...just won't start.

...as typing this just realised, have operated the central locking several times but not the boot....will go check that now....you never know....

Edited: Nope, no difference...only other thing can say is that the fuel pump is priming as can hear it...

Hi Ian,

As tried both repeated locking/unlocking of doors and and boot, would disconnecting and reconnecting the main battery help, or is it just likely to hinder things further?

I meant cycle between being deadlocked and open, ie. button to lock twice, wait a bit then button to unlock. Then get in and start it.

Is it even trying to start? Can you hear/feel it turning over?

I'd make sure there's enough charge in the battery to turn it over.

If I remember rightly, if the system doesn't recognise the chip in the key the light flashes rapidly.
If it turns red for a few seconds then goes out it means it has recognised the correct key.

Hi fellas,

Yeah Ian, have already tried that, deadlocking too, but no joy.

Jim &748, that's what I'd read and the light is showing normal function but the car is acting just like the immobiliser has kicked in, pump is priming and it is turning over but not firing.

My concern initially was that as I only have one key and reprogrammed it to solve the central locking issue this had somehow kicked in the PATS due to reading that it needed two keys programmed? Assume though this would have the red light flashing, or not going out?

Might be just a big coincidence but thought I'd throw it out to greater brains than mine to see if they had any ideas? Whatever it is it still leaves me without transport and stumped :(

Just to say thanks for replies guys, managed to start it today....looks like it was just a coincidence :roll:

Yeah, thanks for letting us know.
Did you find anything?
Strange things these Zetec engines. A few years ago my Mrs had a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec. One morning, completely out of the blue, it would not start. Turning over would not fire.
She had to ring me at work to tell me and go to work on the bus.
I came home at lunchtime, tried to start it, was turning over but would not go. Felt like it would start a couple of times but no.
I slammed the door, kicked its tyres and went back to work.
The Mrs had a hard time convincing me that she hadn't put diesel in it :roll:
Same evening I thought I'd try it again, first turn...boom. No further trouble. We kept if for a few more months, running fine.
Still remains a mystery to me, I think it just didn't want to go to work that day :lol:
Paul

Hi.

Wasn't quite as mysterious as yours Paul but not far off, due to the red light showing normal decided all that was also a red herring and just an odd coincidence.

Battery was showing up fine BUT, much to my mate's annoyance I insisted we try jump leads to his Hilux...after a long winded debate about what was the point as the battery was obviously fine and my only response being a lame "it's worth a go" and looking rather sulky, he relented ...and lo and behold once hooked up the little bleeder started....can only think either an ignition problem or maybe a timing issue or the like and that little bit of extra "welly" did the trick?

Bit of a mystery but it needs the cambelt doing anyway so off Halewood to see Ian G tomorrow and he's going to sort it for me. Told the missus it's a surprise Easter trip (you might need to add some ear defenders to your tool kit btw Ian) :grin:

After that will look into the coil/leads plugs if still a problem.

Cheers guys.

Back