Major Electrical fault!?!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u2gav

OK, I'll explain this the best I can, its quite unusual.

When I leave my headlights on and turn off the ignition and remove the key the engine is still runs!!! The engine turns off when I turn off the lights!!!!
Also when I turn on the side lights it just turns on the headlights so the 2 positions on the light stalk do the same thing, just turns on the headlights!

Any advice you have is much appreciated, as I'm lost. This is my 20th car and 2nd puma but I've never experienced an issue like this!
Thanks

Any typos due to sending from my phone

Sounds like a major short behind dash connecting live light switch to live wire for ignition circuit......best advice...get it to a garage or auto electrician as soon as...could be a potential fire risk there

zinc2000 said:
Sounds like a major short behind dash connecting live light switch to live wire for ignition circuit......best advice...get it to a garage or auto electrician as soon as...could be a potential fire risk there

Yeah, that's were I'm heading after work, there's an after market reversing sensor hooked up, so I'm hoping its that.

ignition live is earthing through the headlight circuit so there is a short somewhere very likely the reverse sensors poorly fitted

All sorted, took it to my mate that owns his own garage. He took of the steering column cover and it was a total mess of black insulating tape and poorly connected wires due to the ape that installed the parking sensor.

It took him about 20 minutes of soldering and heat-shrinking to redo all the bad wiring, everything now works as should. Result :grin:

Bodged "modifications" are often the source of faults.
Yours was one of the most random I`ve ever heard of.. :roll:
Glad to hear you are now sorted :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back