Problem with crankshaft pulley

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

Hi Guys,

Usually I wouldn't post this in urgent, but unfortunately the car is stuck in the garage.

(as always, please bear with me if I don't get the part names correct in English)

I have had the cambelt changed (using the full kit with tensioner etc.) along with water pump and rocker cover gasket, by a mechanic that knows what hes is doing ;)

Before I took it in, I posted a photo here of how the cambelt had "walked" to the outside of the pulleys, here is the photo:

IMG_20151106_172343_zpsrkmebuow.jpg

Well, after the change was completed (correctly), when turning the engine, the belt continues to walk to the outer edge of the pulleys, until it is flush with the outside of the front pulley, and overhangs by 1-2mm on the back pulley, when it reaches this point it stops (doesn't continue to walk when turning engine).

The mechanic says that this is caused by one of the 3 pulleys being damaged or worn, and is of the opinion that it is the crankshaft pulley at the bottom.

When we called the main ford distributor for availability and pricing on the pulley, we were told that the original pulley is 27.75€ plus 6.75€ for the washer.

However, when he tried to order this (the distributor), his system tells him that there was an upgrade to this part, which takes him to another pulley costing 55.75€, but that the new pulley will not fit on the old system and needs another part (unsure of the name) that costs 175€! Also, it would be shipped direct from Germany, taking 5 to 7 days.

Do any of you know anything about this upgrade? Is it possible to source the original pulley in the UK?

Sorry to make this so urgent, but I need to get the car out of the garage, and there is a huge difference between 35€ in parts and 230€!

Thank you all, as always!

Hi JAC
When I did my cambelt change the belt was at the edge of the inlet pulley but not hanging over on the exhaust pulley so that does sound weird. There's not much to go wrong with the crankshaft pulley (vibration damper) as it's only two pieces bonded together by rubber so if it's on the crankshaft and you can't move the outside of the pulley it should be ok.
Barry

PS Might be worth asking how your mechanic took off the pulley because if he did it improperly he could have damaged it.

Thanks Barry.

He did take it off correctly, he has all the correct tools and has done it before (he actually explained the steps to me before I took the car to him, which is what convinced me to use him).

The strange thing is it goes straight back to the position that the old one was in.

The other thing that confuses me is why did Ford change that specific part.

Was there any history of problems with the earlier models (mine was built in 12/1997)?

Hi JAC
I can't help you with the modded part but there should be witness marks {wear} on the camshaft pulleys and after the engine's been turned over a few times by hand the cambelt should adjust itself to these so the wear marks can no longer be seen.
Barry

beltoff_zps207713fe.jpg

You can see the witness marks on the inlet cam pulley and maybe just see them on the exhaust cam pulley.

That's another strange thing, the witness marks on my pulleys are nowhere near as pronounced as yours.

Unfortunately, the cambelt is adjusting itself, but to the outside of the pulleys :(

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get the crankshaft pulley changed at 300€ and hope that fixes it, if not, the inlet and exhaust pulleys will follow (hopefully at a cheaper price!).

As I said on my inlet cam the belt came right to the outside of the pulley and looking at the exhaust side it must have done the same but I can't remember it being off the end ie overhanging like yours. There is very little to go wrong with the crank pulley so before spending any more money I would see if it's possible to move the outer edge of the pulley and if it's solid I would imagine there's nothing wrong with it. As for the modified parts it might be worth putting a second post on here tonight. I'm sure at least Ian G if not others will know the answer to that.
Barry

Thanks again Barry.

I am actually also thinking (which is dangerous), that if it does look like damage to one of the pulleys, then maybe starting with the inlet or the exhaust (where it overhangs) would be a cheaper first step.

I tried google, but couldn't find any info on the modified parts, I will maybe PM Ian G to see if he knows anything.

There's nothing that can go wrong with the exhaust cam pulley apart from the teeth wearing out so I think you would be wasting your money there. It tightens up onto a taper so it should always be in the same position when tight. It's so long since I did mine I can't remember but is there any possibility of endfloat on the exhaust camshaft?
Maybe after all this your cambelt has run off the edge of the pulley all along but you can check this by looking at the witness mark.
Barry

PS or endfloat in your crankshaft?

Hi JAC
Endfloat is where you can move the crank or cams into or out of the engines. The crankshaft usually has bearings on the centre cap that prevent this, not sure whether the Puma has.
Barry

You got part numbers?

Catalogue doesn't list any upgrade and I'm not aware of any.

http://www.fordcat.ru/shop/1/parts/1206610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Timing belt crank pulley is 96MM-6306-AA and shows one part for the whole of production of the 1.7.

That pulley is common to other engines as well so it shouldn't be difficult to find one although I have them on the shelf used if that would suit.

That's a lot of end float to move the belt off the top pulleys. Tensioner will have a role to play as well.

When I had the cam belt done on my 1.7, the cam belt was at the edge of the pulleys before it was changed.
The new one also sits at the edges too.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ian, unfortunately I don't have the part number, I will post it once I get the part, along with an update on the situation.

Back