Bearing/transmission

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roomy

Morning guys,
on the way back from ford fair I've developed a groaning/whining. All the correct signs of a wheel bearing and I've replaced all but the front offside so powers of denomination tells me it's this one. Long story short..I've jacked it up to investigate, no obvious play manhandling the wheel so started her up and put her in gear to put power to the wheel but when releasing the clutch the wheel turns a bit and then instead of working through the diff the wheel locks up!?
I'm now thinking there could be something wrong with the transmission/diff :cry:
I have a 500mile round trip to do on Sunday so kind of an urgent matter.I don't wanna start taking her to pieces if there's easier way I can rule out some things?
Help meeeee!

I will be checking transmission fluid level after work today, fingers crossed it's that. Is it the ep80/90? And what amount do I need to replace it? A litre or 2?

Nope. Not entirely sure why but ford decided the gearbox would never need servicing or something silly. You can try topping it up, there is a fill hole around halfway up (hopefully someone will be along with a handy photo).

What do you mean working through the diff? Like in first gear the wheels don't spin at all once the clutch it up? Even by hand?

I've found the fill hole ta, I was told that apparently the transmission fluid is suppose to last the life of the car but took it with a pinch of salt. Anyway it was running at about half capacity so topped it up. The noise remains though :-(
So back to the possible wheel bearing.. there is no play in the wheel when giving it a jiggle but the noise is really bugging me! As loud as it would be if there were significant play in the wheel but there isn't :!:

I think there is a bearing that supports the shaft that goes from the gearbox to the drivers wheel - not the actual driveshaft that bolts to the hub. Like a mid-shaft. I'll try to find a link with a pic. If it sounds like bearing but isn't a hub maybe it's that.

Could really use a forum guru right now :lol:

The longer Drive Shaft has a bearing in the midle. This bearing is presed on the Driveshaft. And Torquet to a holder on the engine block. By my Puma it were damaged after 200'000 Km. If you lift the right fron side and turn the wheel as fast as you can with gear in neutral you can hear the noise from this bearing when it is damaged.
Also Posible is that you have steps in your tyre profile. If you have this you can feel it by go with your hand over the profile from front to rear. Most times the steps are in at the border of the tyre. I had it many times by customers and it sometimes sounds like you loose your wheelbearing only by looking at it.

I can't belive that you have a damage in your gearbox. 2 Years ago i had my Gearbox open after 240'000 Km. The only isiu where a bolt from the selector plate who loosened and fly around in the gearbox. And not even that has damaged other parts from the gearbox.

Oh God I hope not! I'm not willing to risk causing any damage til I figure out what it is, doesn't look like I'm going far this weekend :cry:
May do the wheel bearing for the sake of it, I have done the other 3 in the past couple of months and maybe it wants in ;p

If you wheel stops turning up in the air it maybe that your bearing is in such a sorry state that it needs lots of power to turn. Since the diff is open and both wheels in the air, the power will take the path of lower resistance and go to the wheel turning freely. Just to be sure, take the biggest screwdriver you can find, put it against the hub of a suspect wheel and turn it by hand while bringing the handle to ear (touching it, but just). If you hear metalic grinding/breaking noise you beraing is done. For comparison, listen (using the same technique) to the good bearing and you will hear just humming noise.
The screwdriver (mechanics stetoscope) never fails in diagnosing faulty bearing. I am sure your gearbox is OK as they are very toughly built and forgiving. Having said that, replacing the oil in it can't hurt

Thanks coyote, I wasn't convinced it was my gearbox, but if it hadn't kept grinding to a halt when doing my wheel bearing test I wouldn't of figured that my transmission fluid was running 1.5litres short so win win really. But surely the power of the engine is enough to turn it as it's still drivable, just when I have it up in the air it maybe does one full turn then locks up with an awful grinding noise!? Will carry out your stethoscope test when I've woken up a bit and keep u posted. :)
I'm expecting it to be completely shattered with the noise it's making. Although if it that badly damaged wouldn't there be play in the wheel?
Many thanks
Hanz

So after implementing the stethoscope method ive just discovered it's not actually the wheel bearing at all but the centre driveshaft bearing that artfulhussy described. Also the inner cv boot on that side has pushed into itself and split so looks like I'm pulling a driveshaft apart tonight, typical after having topped up the transmission oil. Sod's law :roll:

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]355427[/post] At least now you know what you are facing
Yh the boot will be with me by 2pm for £20. But ford wanted £86 for the bearing!! I've took the dimensions and trying to find a cheaper alternative..

So the bearing seems to be fine but there's play in my inner cv joint so I guess that's wats making the noise? Gonna have to just put up with it sadly :cry:

I wasn't going to fleabay it anyway.
How much would it be?
It's not the bearing that's an issue as far as I can tell it's the socket that holds the inner cv knuckle that's worn.

So I've had people telling me that it's extremely unlikely that the cv housing is what's making this noise and frankly I can't afford a new one anyways. I took a couple of videos of 'the noise'
First video is going from a standing start, the noise becomes noticeable after 30mph and just gets louder from there. When you hear a whistle I am then in 5th gear, 2500rpm on a straight road.
https://youtu.be/ieo5OvZMt3s
Second video on the same stretch of straight road, i have knocked it out of gear and am turning from left to right, noisier on the left hand turn.
https://youtu.be/-uBagSoO1Hk
Any ideas??

Back