Black & Blue - help!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklesea41

Hi Everyone

An "old" newbie signing in to seek your advice.

I am now the proud owner of not one, but two Ford Pumas! Blue Puma is R reg and Black Puma is Y (I think that is right)!

I will share a story with you - bear with me!

Blue Puma was my dream car from approx. 20 years ago, a dream which finally came true approx. 8 months ago! Blue Puma was great and ran superb but then needed a new steering rack. Due to the cost involved, my other half decided to buy another puma with the intention of using Blue Puma as a donor car! Black Puma recently passed its MOT and had a service but, last Sunday, it seems the Cam Belt snapped! It had to be towed home and I am awaiting a Mechanic to take a look and provide a diagnosis.
I am black & blue upset that both of these lovely cars are sitting outside and I cannot use one of them!

I am being "told" take the engine out of Blue, as Black is the better car and then I am hearing just get a steering rack put in Blue but Black is the better car!!!!!!!

Money is, as you have gathered, a serious problem at the moment and so is finding a Mobile Mechanic!

I would just welcome any opinions you have and what you would do.

Thanks soooooooooooo much!
:-(

You could break both cars assuming you have the time space knowledge and tools and patience and buy a very good Puma from the proceeds.

You could scrap the pair for maybe £250 -£300 the pr

You could buy a steering rack for the blue one (I have two racks for sale) fix and use the blue one or sell the blue one to fund a replacement engine for the black one.

You could put the engine from the blue one in the black one and break and sell the remaining parts of the blue one.

Do remember though that the engine in the blue one might need a cambelt change as will any used one more than likely. i.e
every five years or 80k.

which you choose to do is realistically down to how much knowledge equipment tools and or favours you can muster and how much you can do yourself.

As for the engine with the snapped cambelt it is almost certainly is beyond economical repair

Tough one that :| Depends what you can do yourself & what you might have to pay someone else to do. The engine that broke it's cam belt is almost certainly beyond use, it will have damaged valves, valve guide, pistons & possibly more (you'd need precision instruments to check the con rods and crank. However, if you the ability and equipment, you could take the engine out of the other car, replace the cam belt ( I'd do the water pump and few other jobs whilst it's out) then put it in the better car. If all of that is beyond you mechanically then it's probably cheaper to buy another than pay somebody to do the work. Only caution is that all Pumas are now getting on a bit so if you're unlucky you could end up back where you are now - look for a car with service history and evidence of a cam belt change fairly recently unless you can tackle that sort of job :wink:

Where are the cars?

And do you want to end up with two working ones? Strikes me that you need to find someone who will take the blue car as part payment for the job on the black one.

I'd take it on but I'm not sure where you are.

HOW TO: Replace Steering rack without dropping the subframe:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back