Engine Swap

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsahayton

Hi all,

We have had our Puma for 12 years, however, there was an issue in getting a new cam belt and the engine is no more. I have found a potential donor vehicle, and am thinking about taking the plunge and having a go at swapping it in. I am a fairly practical guy, and have some experience with cars, but nothing on this scale.

Am I being stupid even thinking about having a go, or is it not that hard?

Any thoughts, tips or advice would be very useful.

Many thanks, Simon

That's a fair old time :eek:k:

Welcome to the site and good luck, there is a whole bunch of information around and I'm sure a few people able to give you pointers. Personally not me but I'd say a good place to start is making sure you have all the right tools and somewhere out of the way to work on it.

An engine swap isn't really that hard, its probably more physically demanding than anything.

If your familiar with what all of the components in the engine bay/on the engine do, it should be fairly simply swap.

Disconnect and remove battery
Disconnect exhaust manifold
Disconnect all coolant hoses, electrical connectors, vacuum pipes
Disconnect fuel lines
Disconnect drive shafts (gearbox oil will promptly escape)
Disconnect torque/gearbox link
Support engine & gearbox, undo mounts and drop/pull engine & gearbox out

Remove any ancillaries from old engine and put on to new one
Replace clutch if necessary or use old one if known to be good - same with slave cylinder

Refit everything back together

There is probably a bit more to it that what I've said as I've probably forgotten something, but that's virtually it.
Just remember that you'll have gearbox oil, coolant and a small amount of fuel loss so you obviously need to make provision for that.

It would probably be easier/simpler to drop the engine and gearbox together. It is possible to remove the engine with the gearbox still in situ as I've done it, but it can be a bit of a pig to get out and aligning it back up again when re-fitting being just as awkward.

Also make sure you have the space for trolley jacks, engine hoist, stands etc as nothing makes a job harder than lack of space....dry is good too...go for it, sometimes a complete engine swap is easier than some repair jobs.
I have done several engine swaps ( all outside) including lifting a v6 from a Zodiac and putting it into a Chrysler 180, all things are possible just take your time, make notes as you go if needed, label wires and pipes, makes reconnection so much easier if you are not guessing where things go and remember, get stuck, just ask

For anyone looking to start fiddling with cars.
Especially to tackle a job like this.
I recommend getting hold of a Haynes manual.

They are easy to follow and give good tips and even an idea of what tools you`ll need.
It`ll explain just how difficult a job is and has all your torque wrench settings for re-assenbly.

Unfortunately there isn`t a Haynes specifically for the Puma :-(
But the mk4/5 Fiesta is almost identical mechanically to the Puma and is freely available.
Look on Amazon/ebay for bargains. Or just hit Halfords with twenty quid.

Worth it either way..

Thanks for that. Really appreciate it. Couple of things.

1. Is it essential to move all ancillaries from old engine to new? I was working on swapping the whole thing Inc anything mounted to the engine. However, someone i know with a similar age focus tried this and apparently the ecu wont talk to the new replacement componants (think the injectors was the main one??)

2. How essential is an engine hoist? I was thinking of using trolley jacks to lower it down then slide out from underneath.

3. Got plenty of space....but on a gravel driveway, so reckon this would be a pain in terms of rolling anything such as.jacks or perhaps an engine hoist if i went and borrowed one.

Thanks again. Simon

Sorry to break this to you.

But working on gravel is almost impossible.
The engine and gearbox are mega heavy and you will not balance to drop it drag it out on a jack.
Even a joist will be a pig as it wont roll.

A piece of kit called a Support Beam would work (goes across the top of the engine) Here`s the sort of thing..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5-TON-ADJUSTABLE-GARAGE-WORKSHOP-VEHICLE-ENGINE-INSPECTION-SUPPORT-BEAM-/222053592245?hash=item33b36cecb5:g:N3gAAOSwvgdW6pFY

Oh yes, put a big piece of carboard or carpet underneath.
Or dropping a tool or small part will leave you right up a creek.

jsahayton said:
[post]351203[/post]
Am I being stupid even thinking about having a go, or is it not that hard?
I think only you can be the judge of that, as only you knows yourself.

Certainly, the written word is a poor medium to describe the ease/difficulty of doing something, so I suggest you first watch a few vids on the general subject - this guy is always good - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eric+the+car+guy+engine+swap+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ivqj2LjE28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Vm4Yd4pvk

If after that you like what you see, then go for it. If not, then get a mobile mechanic in.

On the general principle of should you save this car with a donor engine or is that 'throwing good money after bad', etc? That one is easy, you put another engine in, no one keeps a car for 12 years unless they really like it.

Just to know, when putting an engine of a young puma (2001) into an early model (97), will it be a straight fit or are there difference in electrical cables, connections, etc?

TylerB said:
[post]351923[/post] Just to know, when putting an engine of a young puma (2001) into an early model (97), will it be a straight fit or are there difference in electrical cables, connections, etc?

There are differences. I don't know off the top of the head all of them though. Wiring i believe is slightly different.

Okay that's what I thought already. So best solution would be to swap the complete wiring harness. A job I really hate though.

No because that'll need the dash out.

Most obvious differences are exhaust manifold with have a second sensor on the later car and the speedo sensor in the gearbox is different. Easily solved by retaining the later manifold and gearbox.

The engines themselves externally are no different.

Presence or absence of AC may give you different ancillaries and auxiliary belt route but again, bring the donor engine to vehicle spec.

Ian G said:
[post]352151[/post] No because that'll need the dash out.

Most obvious differences are exhaust manifold with have a second sensor on the later car and the speedo sensor in the gearbox is different. Easily solved by retaining the later manifold and gearbox.

The engines themselves externally are no different.

Presence or absence of AC may give you different ancillaries and auxiliary belt route but again, bring the donor engine to vehicle spec.

Thanks for clearing that out! So the wiring behind the dashboard should be identically meaning I don't have to take it out?
Just wanted to know that engine would fit in case I ever need it (I have an extreme rusty 2001 spare puma but the engine is really good and have low mileage.
Have a nice day, rainy though :/

No, the wiring is different when comparing the 97 and 2000> cars which is why you would leave it where it is and prepare the engine to suit the car.

Latest posts

Back