Brake caliper refurbish

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bankofdad

Hi all

My lad is working away and has left me his Puma to sort! Main issue is the nearside (to the kerb) caliper which needs a refurbish with a new piston, seals etc. (1999 1.7 btw).

Any particular issues to consider when doing this job?

Thanks.

The hydraulics line appears to be a 10mm insert rather than a banjo? Caliper bolts under the rubber sleeves? Is there a thread here or a YT vid showing a strip down? (I have searched btw.) Just want to be prepared when i get tore in!

This thread might help a bit for the removal at least. Unbolt from behind.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=30115#p30115

Ta for that.

Can anyone suggest a supplier for a refurbed exchange caliper? Occurred to me that it might be easier in the long run!

You will need a 7mm alan key which is usually an omission from a key set. Check you've got one before you even jack the car up otherwise you're wasting your time.
Barry

I'm sure euro do exchanges of sorts. At least you buy new/refurbed and get a refund later for your old.

I've used Big Redd. Brilliant and a bargain!

Thank you gents. A further question or two, if I may ...

1. Torque setting for caliper bolts?

2. What size are the brake pad carrier bolts. They are pretty rusty and I will need a hex socket rather than a bi hex. 13mm seems to small and 14mm a bit large or maybethat's the bi hex socket I am using!

1. As tight as you can

2. That'll be a rusty 13mm, clean it up or hammer a socket on, and make sure it's a hex or it'll just round off immediately.

Latest posts

Back