2 x new puma owner in Yeovil

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dai1983

Hi there!

I recently bought 2 1.7 Pumas for £270! One x reg l green and a v reg silver.

Green one needs:
Beam bushes
2 x tyres
All four suspension mounts
Cam cover gasket

Silver needs:
Beam bushes
front shock mounts
Drop links
Clutch
HCV
Sticking window sorting
Cam cover gasket

On initial inspection the silver one looks in better cosmetic condition than green. I got them both on ramps but the silver one has bad rust around the rear beam mounts.

Because of this I've decided to get the green one back on the road to use as a daily driver. The silver one will likely get prepped for road rally, track and sprints. I'm unsure at the moment how far to take it and deciding between a 6 point of multipoint cage. Going to concentrate on the shell, suspension and brakes before I do anything else.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Hi dai plenty of rally people on the forum. I have both a road rally and a stage puma's.

Thanks for the replies.

Do you have a build thread anywhere of both of your rally cars? Im looking for inspiration and some tips to get me started. Short on time at the moment but should be less busy in August.

hopefully they don't turn from a bargin into a money pit. I'm driving a Clio 172 at the moment but already Puma parts are cheaper and fords are easier to work on. They dont have a 1920s bus steering wheel either!

No I don't have any build threads but if you look in the racing section a few people have some on there. Fabricating a sump guard is probably the hardest bit. Suspension you have a lot of options (I have sum almost new gaz golds for sale). I am running bilstin on the road rally car and avo on the stage car. Plenty of options out there and people with good advice.
I run a Twingo 133 cup on the road so know what u mean about the renault ship wheel.

I spoke to birbecks who says that the Racing Ka suspension is used by some road rally Pumas. Seems good value but think he said he only had fork mount ones available. I don't mind finding a fork beam to fit on my eye mount car. Will also mean I can have the fork beam refurbished and still move the car around.

He also explained how to mount the guard be welding nuts on the underside of the car. I've also seen a fiesta where they welded a bar across the area underneath the radiator.

I'd also like to have a copy of the s1400 manual so I know how to prep the shell etc. will pay for a copy if anyone has it?

I read the epic thead about the welding on that red 1.7. Has me nervous and excited at the same time!

Latest posts

Back