Project Puma 'Black'

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest way is to use the focus rear discs and adapt them to take puma tone rings and sensors. There were plenty of those conversions done. The best guide for you should be what Ford did with FRP. They did exactly the same thing and adapted focus rear disc axle to take puma ABS system.

The major difference, as I see it, is that focus uses Hall sensors and they produce sinusoidal signal. The inductive sensors give square signal...

Thank you very much for your help Coyote. I would really like if I have your knowledge and the tools to do this conversion.

It is not that complicated.... Have a look at how I did it
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=302532#p302532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a lot of work but discs look sooo much nicer behind alloy wheels, especially if the wheels are bigger. :grin:
Barry

Hi all,

You are right without any doubt you are right Coyote. How ever does anyone knows something about this solution? Positives/negatives?

http://unique-power.com.tw/exemple/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I asked from the specific company to inform me if this kind of solution, (not the specific of the video) is adapted for Fiesta mk4/Puma or is exclusively for mk7. Also I asked to know if the genuin Ford calipers pads fits the specific system or we have to buy parts exclusively from their company. As soon as they reply to me I will let you know.

Thanos

Hi Coyote,

You are right. They don't have something like that for previous models. Only for Fiesta mk7. So allow me to resume the method you have described very detailed.
I have to buy Focus mk1 spindles hubs and calipers. After I have to machining the hubs from 7,2cm (if this is the real width) to 6,62cm if I use mapco rings or to 6,56 if I keep Pumas' existing tone ring.
Further I have to enlarge the ABS hole in the spindle in order to be able to seat Pumas' ABS sensor, and to create a wider hole for the sensor's bolt. More I have to reduce by 1mm (is it right or is it 2mm) the back of the spindle in the area of the ABS sensor's hole.
By your comments is absolutely clear how crucial it is to keep the distance between the surface of the sensor and the ring tones teeth.
So if all these are correct and will be done exactly as you describe the ABS should be functional.

Is it something I described wrong or something I missing?

Thanos

thanos1410 said:
Hi Coyote,

You are right. They don't have something like that for previous models. Only for Fiesta mk7. So allow me to resume the method you have described very detailed.
I have to buy Focus mk1 spindles hubs and calipers. After I have to machining the hubs from 7,2cm (if this is the real width) to 6,62cm if I use mapco rings or to 6,56 if I keep Pumas' existing tone ring.
Having it done twice, I found that the tone rings are not all the same. My advice: get them first and then bring them to the guy operating the lathe. He will then know how much mashining is in order! I wouldn't go below 6,65 cm for the starts. Also, make your pressing tool or you WILL damage the rings

thanos1410 said:
Further I have to enlarge the ABS hole in the spindle in order to be able to seat Pumas' ABS sensor, and to create a wider hole for the sensor's bolt. More I have to reduce by 1mm (is it right or is it 2mm) the back of the spindle in the area of the ABS sensor's hole.

The hole for sensor need enlarging, but at the same time you have to do it spot on and eccentrically. Use your existing spindles and bolt them on the back side to get the exact positioning. Half a mm off and the system will work erradically.
If you don't enlarge the tone rings and just put them on top of dust shield you will need taking down about 0,9 mm of material to bring them to the correct gap. Have a look at the second part of my guide. That is easier to be done and you can do it with dremel

At the end, I would strongly recommend to first upgrade your front brakes. No point in doing only rear discs if you are left with the same crappy front brakes

Oh yes, the mounting screws need new holes; not bigger, just repositioned.

And first you have to take out the sensors without destroying them. That is a task in itself...

Ok Coyote I have your remarks well noted.

I decide to discuss the project and the difficulties with the downtown turnery, in order to completly understand the accuracy of the project regarding the modifications in spindles/hubs and to be safe regarding measurements and have the appropriate tools. As a matter of fact is not something so easy but I believe that is woth it.
Further I have already found localy the Focus mk1 parts from a scrap mk1. The car have Lucas calipers. Now I have to go there with a mechanic to take off all the parts from the damaged Focus (spindles/hubs/calipers/pads/discs/ABS sensors and brake wires). As soon as I have them in my hand I will send them to the turnery for the first stage. We will see ...
As for your note regarding the front brakes I vae to say that I totaly agree since its not logical to have front 239mm discs and rear 253mm!!! So I have already in my hands calipers from Puma 1.700cc with ATE powerdiscs 258mm and I believe it would be more balanced braking set up.

I will keep you update (since I have to delay a bit the project till the payday hehehehehe)

Thanos

Latest posts

Back