My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Barry :grin:
That sounds like a good deal.
I just got insurance for the FRP through Adrian Flux.
Small matter of MOT to sort out, road tax, and some good weather to come.
Happy days :) :)

Hi Paul
Yes I was well satisfied with that as last year both companies wanted £360 for the Puma alone so to get both cars done for that price.
I also have the dreaded MOT now and 2 worries. The discs and pads are brand new and the MOT station is only 2 miles away so they won't be bedded in before the MOT . There's also the emissions test as I have the unknown quantity of the sportscat I welded in but at least I don't have a management light on the dash so both lambdas must be happy. I 'll just have to make sure I get it stinking hot before I take it in.
I think we both ought to get the prayer mats out for the good weather :)
Good luck with your MOT :grin:
Barry

You're allowed to drive to a pre-booked MOT test without tax or MOT.
Just set off early and go a long way round (a few times). Do plenty of braking on the way :lol:
Seriously though, they must take into account that the brakes are new and not yet bedded in.
What if you took a car for MOT and it failed needing new brakes and discs, and you let them do the repairs and the retest.
Would they have to drive it for miles and miles to bed the brakes in?
Paul

Hi Paul
You're only allowed to drive to the MOT station if it's pre-booked and if you were caught in a bad place like in the wrong direction I think the cops could be a bit picky about it. I'll mention to the tester they're brand new brakes but I'm hoping with the sheer size of them it's going to be overbraked anyway. Good point about the garage fitting the brakes though and there is another option I think the tester, if there's a problem with the rollers, can actually road test the car to check the brakes thereby getting a few more miles on it. We will see soon :)
Barry

Just a further thought about the brakes on my car, I'm not sure whether the front brakes can be tested on the rollers because of the really deep air dam, I think it may catch on the rollers or the floor, so in just over a week we shall see. The other thing is there are advisories about front wishbone bushes on earlier MOTs so I might get pulled for those so if anyone knows a good supplier of GENUINE Ford wishbones or bushes let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Barry

What about these Barry?
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_puma_front_rh_suspension_arm__f_1710792_c_357.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have bought a bit of stuff from them, had no problems.
To be honest, the bushes are not too expensive from Ford parts counter, if you have access to a press then that's the way I would do it.
Paul

I have a pair of New (still wrapped) German made Febi Bilstein front bushes for sale (which if im not greatly mistaken was fitted at factory to the puma) can't remember if they are for the lower rear wishbones or fronts but I can check if you are interested?

Hi Paul and Grayfox
Those wishbones look a real good price considering that I paid £45 just for a track rod end for the Fiesta. All the info says they're genuine too so I think I might be shopping there if the car fails. Thanks for the offer though Grayfox.
Barry

Fordpartsuk is where I get everything from Barry, they are great and find me all sort of brand new obsolete things for my perfection OCD!

Hi James
I take it this was where you got your heat shields from? It must be heaven for you going through all the parts listings on this :)
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi James
I take it this was where you got your heat shields from? It must be heaven for you going through all the parts listings on this :)
Barry

Yep!! Heat shields, headlights, quarter panels, seals, gaskets. I need help!!!

Oh it's a good job you haven't got a Westfield, it would be upgradeitis all year round, you would never have any money.
Barry

If you do compare prices at FordPartsUK, don't forget to take into account the VAT and delivery.
Paul

When I got my Ebay bargain wheels there were two problems with them. They were Peugot fitting (bigger hole in the centre) and they only had 3 centres for the 4 wheels. I'd looked on Ebay for ages to see if I could find any centres second hand as I couldn't find new ones but they were a bit Carlos Fandango.

100320151905_zpsc3kx7fo0.jpg

So I decided to find some new centres as well as spigot rings to make the wheels fit the hubs. I eventually found a firm on Ebay and these arrived on Monday.

090320151904_zpsgosdosig.jpg

Peugot - Ford spigot rings and plain centres.

100320151906_zpsjmb1hcrq.jpg

Before I could fit the spigot rings the inside face of the wheel needed a good clean up.

100320151908_zpscxuvfmmd.jpg

I used a dremmel with a fine wire brush to clean the inside of the wheel

100320151909_zpsvjvhlegp.jpg

Spigot ring fitted...a nice flush fit :)

100320151910_zpsd3h1bemt.jpg

New wheel centre fitted...time for some vinyl I think.

Looks good Barry, although a wider angled shot to get the general idea of the overall look of the wheels on the Puma would be good!

Is it me or did that sound rather long winded...?

:grin: "Carlos Fandango" :lol:
I wonder how many people will get that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back