Rusty Puma Arch replacement group buy - NO I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE AND I'M NOT DOING THIS AGAIN

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilrob

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I asked the supplier to provide a quote for 25, 30 and 40 units to see if there was any additional saving. Unfortunately, there is no further discount available, and any units from 21 onwards will be subject to a separate shipping charge as they can only send 20 at a time.

If anyone wants a set after we've hit the first 20, I will still order them for you if you want me to, but you will have to share the additional shipping cost of around £19.10 with however many people over 20 also want to participate.

To put it simply:
If you're in the first 20, you get the price quoted previously.
If you're buyer 21 or over, it'll be slightly more expensive as you'll have to take a hit on the additional shipping, unless someone from the first 20 drops out in which case you're quids in and you take their place.

Here's what they look like:

Reararchrepairpanels001.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels005.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels002.jpg

Reararchrepairpanels004.jpg

Apparently they're quite good for bodyshoppy people to work with when getting your arches repaired.

Is anyone else planning on doing their arches in the next few months? May be able to get some kind of discount - even if it's only on shipping (30EUR individually) for a few sets.

PAID:
1. evilrob - Reading - Pair - whenever - PAID
2. Ginger Tom - Show/Meet - 2 Pairs - whenever - PAID
3. Ginger Tom - Show/Meet - 2 Pairs - whenever - PAID
4. Mac - Show/Meet - Pair - whenever - PAID
5. oli8925 - Tunbridge Wells - Pair - whenever- PAID
6. deputy - Hastings (may be able to arrange something via mates otherwise courier)- Pair - whenever - PAID
7. YOG - Lee's gaff - Pair, whenever - PAID
8. gingerdave - Near Evesham (delivery TBC) - Pair - whenever - PAID
9. frocat - Possibly collect from near Reading - Pair - Before May - PAID
10. StevenRaith - North Yorks. - Pair - Before May - PAID
11. JPTipper (PumaPeople) - Dover - Pair - March/April - PAID
12. Shimmyhill - Norwich - Pair - ? - PAID
13. Z-fella - Brighton (I can drop off) - ? - Feb/March - PAID
14. g-whizz - Southport - PAID
15. Sasa (PumaPeople) - NI - Pair - March - PAID
16. binman (PumaPeople) - Edinburgh - Pair - PAID
17. water-bug55 - Staines (I can drop off/you can collect) - Pair - PAID
18. grayfox - London (can drop off next time I go to see Steavie) - Pair - PAID
19. burntbadger (PumaPeople) - ? - Pair - PAID
20. SENATEpumA - Gosport (I can drop off) - Pair - May - PAID

International orders:
1. CartMan - Norway - Pair - PAID

Interested:
1. jbc1971
2. alexwilliams840 - Telford
3. bennymc

I'm bored of chasing these people:
1. amandab
2. Tycho - ? - ? - ?

Dropped out:
FireFly90 - Possibly collect from near Reading - Pair - whenever - DROPPED OUT
craigw - Sunderland - Pair - ? - DROPPED OUT
Ryuu - Swansea - Pair - (paying soon - thanks for your PM) - DROPPED OUT

They're made to order - hence why ordering a few in one go should result in a more sensible price. They're mild steel, in case anyone was interested; apparently stainless steel is a ballache to weld and paint.

I'm sure there's a logical reason they've opted to make them out of mild steel. All I know is that people have used these before, it's turned out good, and the bodyshops find them easy to work with.

Probably less likely to rust than an already-weathered 206 wing which is the other popular alternative.

Flying Scotsman said:
Would aluminium not be better?
Correct me if im wrong but are they not less likely to rust?

Good luck trying to weld a soft aluminium wing section to a steel outer...

I'm in Rob, would like the price ended up as £66 with shipping but as u say depends on the amount of people involved, any initial communication on how many we need to order to get so much off? i.e x10 = £? x20 =£?

Actually I just had a thought - do they have to be ordered in pairs??

Flying Scotsman said:
Can It be done...?

The temperature to weld / melt the steel would totally annihilate the aluminum.

You could possible braze the aluminium to the steel but the joint would be fairly weak.

Cant weld them, but you can braze them. Brazing aluminum to steel was very common in the 1930's and 1940's. Basicly you "tin" the steel with silver brazing material ( I use 55% ) and then use aluminum brazing material ( 4047 ) and its flux to braze the "tinned" steel to the aluminum. The "one stage" materials are actually more like a soft solder, and my experience with them has been less than stellar. Now I made it look simple, and in theory it is, but its a bit technical and takes a bit of experience. If you are familiar with OA welding aluminum, braing aluminum and the same on steel, then you should be able to learn this process.

So in essence - no, you can't.

grayfox said:
I'm in Rob, would like the price ended up as £66 with shipping but as u say depends on the amount of people involved, any initial communication on how many we need to order to get so much off? i.e x10 = £? x20 =£?
Not at this stage, no. Was just assessing interest before getting my German pals to sweet talk these guys.
grayfox said:
Actually I just had a thought - do they have to be ordered in pairs??
Yes, but I only really want one (for now, touch wood) so if you want to go halves we can do that.

I don't know what people's expectations of timeframe are, but I probably wouldn't be looking to order these until end Feb / beginning March as any good bodyshop will tell you there's no point getting bare metal work done while the weather's still wet and the atmosphere is damp.

That said, it didn't seem to dry out at all during 2012, so there may or may not be a 'good' time to get the rot cut out and replaced.

Also happy to order sooner rather than later if any of our cooperative are in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back