Water Pump !

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Ddunk

Looks like water pumps are the latest things to go, after Chatsworth around 200 miles round trip FRP #155 (Not just FRPs) lost 3 pints of water. So check your water level NOW! It a nightmare of a job but you don't need to change / remove your timing belt to do it.

Ive got a Ford one at home as i thought mine was the cause of my very squeaky noise on startup when its cold. The level hasnt dropped in weeks though so it doesnt seem to be losing water. My ford guy reckons its a couple of hours labour getting to it and replacing it.

it doesnt look fun changing one put it that way!

you taking pics & doing a guide dunk?

Didnt have time to take pictures, had to be quick incase it didnt work.
This is how i did it:-
Wedge water pump to hold pully to undo bolts.
Jack car up drives side, to remove wheel and support on axle stands etc.
Remove arch lining.
Remove aux belt.
Undo all 3 power steering / idler nuts and slide back as far as you can.
Remove small idler and all bolts from cambelt cover.
I used a trolly jack and a piece of wood to support the engine and removed the drivers side engine mount.
Remove the cambelt cover
You should be able to see the water pump with 6 bolts, carefully remove all the bolts (you will get wet now) this is when you SLOWLY lower the engine with the trolly jack until you can slide the pump around the back of the cambelt, (TAKE CARE NOT TO DAMAGE THE CAMBELT OR MOVE IT BECAUSE YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE IT AND RE-TIME IT).
I did remove the air con pump, put dont think i needed to.
I used the trolly jack alot to raise and lower the engine, to gain access to parts, be carefull doing this.
Fitting was in reversal, took about 80% of the time finding out how to take it all apart, going to be quicker next time.

This is a tricky job to do, you will need a good set of spanners, long neck socket and axle stands and trolly jack to do it.
Not really for a novice to try and this is just a brief overview.

cool, at least we know its do-able. id prob have a go at that on a lazy sat but not in a rush!

I will be attempting to replace the water pump for a friend without removing the cambelt as they cannot afford to replace it all at once... So looks like I'll be diving under the bonnet a few times over the next few months.

I will photograph as much of the work as I can to make a step by step guide for anyone that will need it. Should have it up in a week :)

Had a dig about and found this.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16797&hilit=water+pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back