Big end bearings

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darvillej

Hi Guys
Need a set or 2 of big end bearings urgently to finish a rebuild.

Got the mains but seem to be a problem getting the big ends. I was supplied some which did not fit .

To small and no locating tang.

if you know where I can get some
can you txt me on 07757769311
or at [email protected]

How hard can it be to get a set of big ends that fit????????
Tried 3 E-bay sites who advertise them but don't stock them.
Both local engine machine shops cannot get the correct size and my local factors who seem to be able to get anything are trying to get some from Isreal??
One company said cut of the locating tags. Never had to do that before. Ford technical where less than useless. There as supposed to be 2-crank sizes but mine is different so that makes 3.
Will wait and see what comes in the post Friday. 1.7 VVC
I can see the 2 cars ending on the scrap heap and having to build another Drag car with a Zetec 2.0 L as we have a few of them.

Another 2 sets of Glyco big ends have just arrived. 1 STD set and 1 set +.25mm in case we needed them for the future?

On the box it says" fiesta/focus/fusion/puma/121 1.2/1.4/1.7 1995 -

These do not have the locating lugs on them. I am assured they are OK for my Puma. Does any one have experience of using these?

Update they don't fit.

There are two versions of the 1.7 engine, MHA and MHB, the latter having the larger crank journals.

Changeover date is early 99 so if the box says 95 onwards, it doesn't extend to after that date.

The code as above forms part of the inscribe for the engine id if you need to check which you have.

The engine number itself will also give you build date.

Ian G said:
There are two versions of the 1.7 engine, MHA and MHB, the latter having the larger crank journals.

Changeover date is early 99 so if the box says 95 onwards, it doesn't extend to after that date.

The code as above forms part of the inscribe for the engine id if you need to check which you have.

The engine number itself will also give you build date.

im not sure thats strictly correct, i rebuilt an MHA engine for mine and had the same dramas as mentioned above. the bearings most parts suppliers list are for 40mm crank journals and the engine i have is 42.

i ended up using bearings from a random mitsubushi engine, but they required some minor machining to the 'tang' to locate properly. not a big drama. ill look up the receipt for the part number and let you know.

Getting same response they have found some bearings that partly fit. Want to charge another £ 80 to machine the bearings?
but needs the con rods so will need to remove the head so will needs gasket kit and bolts.

Trying for some complete engines on e-bay as an interim.

will strip the 2 engines and get them sorted next term. will deliver the crank and rods to the machine shop and let them sort them out.

PS thanks for all the info has been helpful.

Jim 07757769311

Jim I've got loads of engines in various states of undress if those are any use.

In fact I've got a few showing 50/60k that have been taken off sale because they're noisy which I need to do a deal on to get them out the way.

Or full ones straight out of runners that are OK but they'll be a bit closer to retail price.

Thanks for the offer.
We have a spare running engine and was going to "just" drop in new mains and big end. Then the saga started.
Have the first con rod back with machined shells , just go to fit and check with the plastigauge then get the other 3 then rebuild.

We also have 2 new 2.0 Zetec engines complete with manifolds still on there pallets. which we need to swap for a NOS kit with 11lb bottle from wizard of NOS.

Latest posts

Back