petrol stations

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumadad2010

with petrol prices rising all the time which petrol station sells the best super unleaded

i tried sainsburys super unleaded yesterday and it seems good for an extra £3 on a full tank i definately wont be using the normal unleaded from now on

Have a little look here:

http://www.petrolprices.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And register to get daily / weekly updates via email as to the cheapest petrol in your area.

Err... because my car is mapped for it, giving better torque (better than 2 FRPs on a rolling road day last year) and better MPG compared to when it was mapped and running 95 RON petrol.

It's cost effective according to my calculations :eek:k:

That's not exactly common though, is it? :p

Tesco do tend to be one of the cheaper garages, but personally, I only buy petrol from them as a last resort, as my MPG is always crap whenever I fill up there.

Interesting the difference between fora.

As you might suspect I now haunt the Porsche 911 forum and over there Tesco 99 RON is the fuel of choice, people driving past BP stations (Ultimate being the semen of the devil by all accounts) to get to a supermarket.

Could that be as BP Ultimate is 97 RON, and the Tesco stuff is obviously 99? I'd imagine the Porsche ECU is adaptive and can take advantage of the extra 2 RON?

Dal said:
Err... because my car is mapped for it, giving better torque (better than 2 FRPs on a rolling road day last year) and better MPG compared to when it was mapped and running 95 RON petrol.

It's cost effective according to my calculations :eek:k:
how much was your remap dal?
what kind of mpg you getting compared to the old setup?
do you notice considerable throttle reposnse?

XIIVVX said:
Tesco.

But why would a Puma owner want Super Unleaded?
why would i use super unleaded in my puma????????
for the same reason i dont use cheap oil,parts or accesories

Super unleaded in your Puma, without an updated ECU is wasting money, No location shown in your profile, i got my ECU update done at Tremona garage in Southampton for 50GBP, a few years ago though.

I find that Shell 'normal' unleaded works best in my Kat, although i did run it on Shell Vpower for a while, to blow out the crud from the catalytic converter, caused by using Sainsburys/Morrisons unleaded Supermarket fuel.

As above, every time i have used BP Ultimate, my Kat runs rough until the next tankful of Shell unleaded.

pumakid2010 said:
for the same reason i dont use cheap oil,parts or accesories

Note carefully what Pumapilot says above, and then also take a read of your handbook.

Nobody cares if you are wasting money pouring in a fuel that your car can't take advantage of. As long as you are aware of that you can put in what you like. But equating 'more expensive' with 'better' is a fallacy in this case, whilst it may not be in the case of oil.

I just run it on normal shell unleaded. Its 1.16 a litre here which is equal to what the nearest supermarket is offeing. (which i would never touch anyway) I find that shell petrol makes the car run best and wherever i am in the country, shell garages always seem to be cheaper than anywhere else.

Dal said:
Could that be as BP Ultimate is 97 RON, and the Tesco stuff is obviously 99? I'd imagine the Porsche ECU is adaptive and can take advantage of the extra 2 RON?

yes, modern cars have something called a knock sensor, which basically detects the engine starting to knock and adjusts the timing accordingly. This means it can take full advantage of something like 99 ron, but equally run on 95 ron without doing damage or running poorly.

I found I used less petrol when filling up from my local Total garage than I did filling up at shell

Anyone know why Fuse 34, 30amp (green), in the auxiliary fuse box is labelled "Octane adjust"?

Dal said:
Have a little look here:

http://www.petrolprices.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And register to get daily / weekly updates via email as to the cheapest petrol in your area.
yeah thanks dal some really intresting information here

Octane Numbers
Usually, there are three different octane numbers associated with all petrols. Petrol's Research Octane Number (RON) is measured under simple test conditions. Petrol's Motor Octane Number (MON) is measured under tougher test conditions and at higher engine speed and temperature.

The average of these two values is what becomes related closer to actual driving conditions. This value is known as the Road Octane Number, and is what should be used in filling stations.

Occasionally, some filling stations will confuse these different octane numbers in a bid to embellish on their octane rating claims, and advertise their fuel's Research Octane Number, which is higher than the Road Octane Number. In many European countries, the Research Octane Number is advertised on pumps, so a much higher octane value is common when travelling in certain countries

Super Fuels
Many of the large petrol companies have launched 'super fuels' - petrols and diesels that have a higher research octane level. These fuels are said to increase power in many vehicles, deliver less pollution than regular fuels and help to maintain a cleaner engine. Amongst these 'super fuels' are Tesco's Super Unleaded 99 Octane petrol, supplied by Greenergy, now sold at many stations across the UK and also BP's Ultimate 102 Unleaded which is currently the most advanced, high-performance petrol you can buy on UK forecourts.

Using Super Fuels
One of our users commented that using higher octane fuel than your engine requires actually gives no benefit and may be a waste of money. This is because virtually NO engines require 98 RON over 95, and the market for 'super' fuels seems to be based on people's misunderstanding of octane ratings and the placebo effect of filling up with 'more powerful' fuel - making motorists think their engine is running better in some way.

What do the fuel companies say then, to justify the "increased power" claims for the super grade fuels? Some companies say that while all fuels contain cleaning additives, 'super' fuels contain more or better detergents to keep the injectors cleaner than standard fuel. Others say the fuel is a few percent denser which gives slightly more power per litre. These benefits may be marginal though in comparison to the extra cost involved so it is worth ensuring that your engine will actually benefit before filling up.

Some engines actually do need higher octane fuel, such as race engines with very high compression and some turbocharged engines, such as the import version of the Nissan Skyline. Also, a few vehicles, such as the new BMW K1200R motorbike, can sense knock and adjust their engine tuning to take advantage of higher grade fuels. Another user commented that the 2004 BMW 330 also does this, according to the driver's handbook it makes 231 BHP on 98 octane and 221 BHP on 95. This ability is apparently widespread amongst German performance cars using Bosch / Siemens electronic engine controls

after reading this
i think i will use normal unleaded untill my puma is remapped to use 99 ron and if my injectors seem clogged simply use a bit of injector cleaner

For over 12m I have been running mine on either Sainsbury's Super Plus (97) or Tesco Super (99), ECU is mapped to 97RON, prefer to use Sainsbury's as they are the local supermarket, and as there is no noticable benefit of running on 99 over 97. I have occasionally used BP or Shell's 97 fuel and have noticed no difference whatsoever.

Back