Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe so. At least it did when I sorted out the one on my Dad's old mondy.

Cheers Cherie for an excellent post. Did method 2 for the 3 button fob today and everything beeped and flashed as it should and central locking has been working perfectly since. :thumbs:

I've just changed the battery in my 3 button fob but it still wouldn't work. I've reprogrammed it time and time again .... the indicators flash at the end of programming but it still wont respond to pressing the buttons. Any ideas? The circuit board is not moving around inside and the buttons must make contact in order to flash the indicators at the end of programming.

The lock button on my 3 button key fob is broken. I went to my local ford dealer who said it would cost £85 for a replacement fob and £100 to reprogramme it. Obviously this is the biggest rip off going. I ve been looking on Ebay for a second hand fob but is it easy to reprogramme the chip to start the car and reprogramme the signal that operates the central locking?
Cheers,
Dom

Thanks for your reply. If I get one off ebay and replace the key blade and reprogramme the central locking (as described at the beginning of this thread) won't I still have to reprogramme the chip from the ebay key - the chip wont be recognised by the car. Also i ve read on the forum and common advice is just to change the key blade onto a new fob but I ve been told the chip that allows the engine to start is in the key fob itself and not in the key blade. Thanks

Thank you so much for the advice. I bought a replacement fob from e bay for £10 and reprogrammed the fob using method 2. I then just swapped the button faces. It worked first time. You have saved me £200. Many thanks again! :grin: :grin:

Got replacement remote from ebay today. I've put my old blade onto the fob and attempted to code it to start the engine but without success .... got it to open and shut the doors remotely though :) Any ideas? I've coded keys before with no trouble but I've had several attempts with this one and am getting nowhere fast :(

Midnight Blue,
There is a microchip in the key blade part that works the immobiliser so just because you have reprogrammed the remote to activate doors and boot does not mean that the engine will start. What I suggest is look in the manual of your car and it tells you how to reprogramme the chip (p52 in my manual) of additional keys. You will need 2 original keys though to reprogramme any others. Think the limit is 8 I think. Good luck.

I have tried to code the key to the engine using 2 keys - that is the part that doesn't work!! The next step will be the button change but I would prefer to keep the new one as a whole as it is less worn than mine.

Are you doing it fast enough? I seem to remember it being and absolute pita when I coded a key to the engine of my old Puma.

Sorted it - didn't leave it long enough at position 2 .... needs to be held there until the digital display changes from blank to mileage :)

Just done this myself , my remote is intermittently working. you do have to turn it very fast I found, then the fog light button came on but the remote buttons wouldn't 'push/activate/send the signal/whatever' I can maybe get one of them to do it and the indicators flash but I run out of time furiously pushing the other ones! :( . Also the remote key wont unlock the doors in the door lock it will only lock them? Do you think the remote part being faulty is causing the door lock not to lock. Oh and I tried the normal non remote key and that locks and unlocks the doors fine so no problem with the locking!

Do you think a replacement remote part of eBay will work? D I just have to make sure it's another 433mhz one?

Thanks in advance

Hi, my gf has bought a puma which needs attention which i will be sorting out for her but she has decided the most important part is getting the fob to work.... Problem is it will not go into programming mode it is a 97 with 2 button IR i have left the key in position 1 but the pats light will not stay lit any ideas? Tried it with doors locked, unlocked all windows up and no joy.

Tom

Latest posts

Back