Puma won't start :(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cool: schooled .. that being said I did think the start cable comes in on the right side and not the left?

red said:
If it's just the cable that's snapped you shouldn't need a whole new start i doubt.

I believe that is the offending cable that comes from the battery but I can't confirm 100% as I never traced it down on mine. Have you tried tracing it from the battery side?

Managed to get it bump started with the help of three amazingly helpful guys working in a house next to the state that was my broken down car! Dropped it off at the garage right away, I showed them the picture of the broken cable and they seemed impressed, said they would check it out and if it is only a cable issue, they will patch it back up.

I think it traced back to the battery, the position it was in was hard to tell, couldn't keep a hold of it through the grill and reach into the bonnet at the same time to trace it back, damn arms not long enough.

Turns out what I thought was the starter motor was actually the alternator....lucky I didnt hit it too hard!!

Await the dreaded phone call from the garage with the bill!!!

I dont mean to be rude but are you taking any notice of my replies at all? you seem completely oblivious to what i told you the cable was and did yet you seem to be intent on making a mystery of finding out what it is and tracing it :?

ScubaSteve said:
I dont mean to be rude but are you taking any notice of my replies at all? you seem completely oblivious to what i told you the cable was and did yet you seem to be intent on making a mystery of finding out what it is and tracing it :?

Apologies, I posted that reply mentioning the cable again after you had posted, I did take note of it and accepted that wasn't the issue but I had already dropped the car off at the garage and mentioned the cable to them, then came back, wrote that reply and posted it before seeing your reply, if that makes sense!

I'm not thinking about that cable anymore, apart from making a mental note to get it fixed as you mentioned.

Anyway, just taken a call from the garage, it does need a new starter, £280 for part and fitting, ouch.

ScubaSteve said:
haha i did think that may be the case, wires crossed accepted :D

Thanks for all your help on this, I really appreciate it :grin:

At least I know what the issue is now and can get it sorted, if I had more time I would just order the part myself and get them to fit it but I typically I need the car back for work tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

i hope they are using a genuine ford starter for that price as it seems very expensive for less than an hours work to change them...

Hello

That's the car collected and I even treated it to a nice handwash after feeling pretty guilty about how dirty it was and reading all the threads on here about how good care you all take of your pumas!

Not sure if it was a genuine Ford part, hope so, I should of asked.

I've had the car for about 8 months but I must say, the starter was maybe on its way out as its never started as well as it did when I drove it out the garage, talk about a roar! My exhaust was loose as well so they fixed that too.

I have a whole new appreciation for Puma's now after reading through this site, thanks everyone for all your help!

Glad to be back on the road, now I just need to sort out the rust on the back arch and it will be great! :)

Latest posts

Back