Pippa Puma Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, chaps and chapesses - I'm very happy with it; looks good, sounds good, does what it says on the tin. Though I just found out that it's being discontinued and replaced with a new model soon, which is why Halfords are banging them out at a low price.
Flying Scotsman said:
That's very nice... is that a usb port on the left?
No, that's the "eject" button for the fascia. The USB port is on the back with a nice long male-to-female lead so you can route to the glovebox / cubby hole next to the steering wheel / ashtray / wherever, tucked away nicely.
Sparx said:
I like the time and date on that!
The display is lovely on this head unit - no options to customise the time/date screen, though - so it's lucky it looks quite good "out of the box" so to speak. Your only option is red or blue illumination on the buttons (which hasn't really come out on the photo - set to blue currently; really need to pull my finger out and sort the blue led switches / dash etc to match).

In other news, Pippa Puma is enjoying a holiday with 'Uncle Richard' at Tremona Garage to see if he can figure out my perplexing intermittent loss of power issue.

She always starts first time even on the frostiest of frosty mornings, always gets me from A to B, idle is spot on - purrs nicely when at a standstill or slowing down for lights etc, drives beautifully most of the time, but has 'off moments' where she's sluggish and depressed - even when up to temp. It's completely random with no rhyme or reason; doesn't matter whether it's a hot or cold day, or how far I'm driving. If I'm doing multiple journeys in one day, she might be perfect in the morning, have a grumpy moment in the afternoon, and be fine again in the evening.

She's had new plugs, coil pack, HT leads, MAF, HCV, clutch/slave cylinder, fuel filter, oil filter, fresh oil (Shell Helix) every 5,000 miles max (last change was at 3,500), the power steering connector thingy and clutch position sensor have been checked, no faults codes logged on the ECU, Richard even tried swapping out the lambdas for known-good ones but this didn't solve the issue either - all within the last six months, so all the usual suspects have been ruled out. Driving with the ScanGuage shows all sensors are working as expected - no dead spots on the throttle position sensor, lambdas switching normally, battery voltage maintaned at a steady 14v, ignition readings all tickety boo. It's a head scratcher!

He's got her for a week, will be using it as his daily driver to see if he can work out what the problem is; every time I've taken her in for other normal servicing stuff, typically she's behaves herself, driving perfectly, making it difficult for him to diagnose. Same happened when I took her to see Steavie - was a cow pretty much all the way there, literally turned into Steavie's road and she was back to normal. :evil:

edit: car regularly returns the right side of 40mpg and doesn't use any oil - I have a 1l bottle of oil I use to top it up if/when required (super anal about checking regularly, before long journeys along with tyre pressure etc - still over half full after a year and 15,000 miles).

Thanks dude - likewise. Your Thunder restoration project is coming along nicely; so nice to see a Magnum Grey rescued from the scrappers! :thumbs:

evilrob said:
In other news, Pippa Puma is enjoying a holiday with 'Uncle Richard' at Tremona Garage to see if he can figure out my perplexing intermittent loss of power issue.

She always starts first time even on the frostiest of frosty mornings, always gets me from A to B, idle is spot on - purrs nicely when at a standstill or slowing down for lights etc, drives beautifully most of the time, but has 'off moments' where she's sluggish and depressed - even when up to temp. It's completely random with no rhyme or reason; doesn't matter whether it's a hot or cold day, or how far I'm driving. If I'm doing multiple journeys in one day, she might be perfect in the morning, have a grumpy moment in the afternoon, and be fine again in the evening.

She's had new plugs, coil pack, HT leads, MAF, HCV, clutch/slave cylinder, fuel filter, oil filter, fresh oil (Shell Helix) every 5,000 miles max (last change was at 3,500), the power steering connector thingy and clutch position sensor have been checked, no faults codes logged on the ECU, Richard even tried swapping out the lambdas for known-good ones but this didn't solve the issue either - all within the last six months, so all the usual suspects have been ruled out. Driving with the ScanGuage shows all sensors are working as expected - no dead spots on the throttle position sensor, lambdas switching normally, battery voltage maintaned at a steady 14v, ignition readings all tickety boo. It's a head scratcher!

He's got her for a week, will be using it as his daily driver to see if he can work out what the problem is; every time I've taken her in for other normal servicing stuff, typically she's behaves herself, driving perfectly, making it difficult for him to diagnose. Same happened when I took her to see Steavie - was a cow pretty much all the way there, literally turned into Steavie's road and she was back to normal. :evil:

edit: car regularly returns the right side of 40mpg and doesn't use any oil - I have a 1l bottle of oil I use to top it up if/when required (super anal about checking regularly, before long journeys along with tyre pressure etc - still over half full after a year and 15,000 miles).

Might be worth having look at speed sensor, had similar problem with a focus, tried changing plugs and leads ETC with no difference, took connector off speed sensor and cleaned it up, was running fine afterwards.

It took me far too long this evening to do this after work:

Blue LED buttons and posh temp clock:

Cloud2go%206%20Aug%202012%2022:18.jpg

Red when activated:

Blue LED door switches:

Cloud2go%206%20Aug%202012%2022:19.jpg

Had intended to do the clocks as well but couldn't get the fecking thing out. I also lost the temperature probe connectors somewhere down the back of the dash. Will try again tomorrow.

Also need to do the heater control panel and headlight levelling switch.

Arse. Just remembered I meant to do all this as well:

Cloud2go%206%20Aug%202012%2022:42.jpg

(new aerial and base, and heated washer jets)

Haven't really had time to do much to Pippa lately, the most exciting thing is probably this nice gearstick surround with a blue Puma logo to match my blue alcantara front and rear seats, blue FRP mats (for show only - got normal black ones for everyday use) and blue LED dash:

Cloud2go%2018%20Sep%202012%2022:57.jpg

With lovely blue stitching on the gaiter:

Just need to get over to Mr Tom and Mr Scotsman's to get the door cards / rear quarter trim and I reckon the interior will be complete.

evilrob said:
Haven't really had time to do much to Pippa lately, the most exciting thing is probably this nice gearstick surround with a blue Puma logo to match my blue alcantara front and rear seats, blue FRP mats (for show only - got normal black ones for everyday use) and blue LED dash:

With lovely blue stitching on the gaiter:

Just need to get over to Mr Tom and Mr Scotsman's to get the door cards / rear quarter trim and I reckon the interior will be complete.

Wheres the blue Puma logo from?

I believe it's from an FRP, Questy - I got it off ex-forum member Skint.

Back