Upgrade to ST150 discs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild E. Coyote

Puma Supporter
Hi, guys!

This one is for you, Errol! You made this possible :grin:
(To all the rest: I wanted to buy a set of ST150 calipers, saw them on e-Bay and contacted Pumanoob to have a look at ad; he replied that the guy who was elling them lived 10 minutes down the road, went there and even lowered the price for them! Then he kept them at his place for two months or so until Croatia joined EU and then posted them to me. You have my eternal gratitude, mate!)

So, this was how they looked...

pRSoiTH.jpg

IkB0Qpa.jpg

I had them sanded and they returned like this

Lba1Txf.jpg

HHTf3o9.jpg

I gave them respray in silver. It was only VHT colour I could find. After respray had them baked at 175C to make colour heat resistable

XWRjjtp.jpg

Getting them ready for installing

kLC4FMX.jpg

Put back together

CWzFrfY.jpg

Hubs cleared and given a respray with copper grease prior to installing (re)new(ed) calipers

m8r0OwZ.jpg

Calipers getting there... Also, the spacer (stainless steel, 3mm thick) is in place to check it is OK

O0dxPfo.jpg

Discs really mean bussiness from this angle, don't they?

TWJyL0K.jpg

Caliper screwed to the brakeline

NOve8sO.jpg

Everything in place with spacer on

AyNnci8.jpg

cUTGxH5.jpg

Also the other side (without spacer)

PZCuwLT.jpg

Everything put on, looking sharp under the wheel :cool:

WpnEnYN.jpg

5XgGkob.jpg

Having a good look, I would say the calipers might even get away without the spacers, but it is much safer this way. Also, had a look the other day at new fiesta in a showroom; the space between calipers and wheels is probably even smaller then this!

Since discs and pads are BRAND NEW, haven't given them anything out of ordinary stopping, but can feel additional stopping power already.

Also, few remarks. The bolts that came with the calipers are too long a bit; the ones that were on the car are just perfect.
Secondly, the pads I got are original and on the box they had a sticker saying: focus ST170. I guess that means they are indetical for fiesta ST150 and focus ST170. Might be handy for someone someday.....

BTW, also changed rear beam bushes and it is quite an improvement. The ride is quieter, the rear end is steadier in long curves... The car just got better and keeps doing it all the time :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Puma said:
Looks really smart :)
Also nice mint propellor alloy, did you refurbished them?

Nope, bought them as such. Were advertised in German e-Bay: 'not new, but as good as new'. And guy didn't lie :cool:
I just love the propelor wheels; they suit the car perfectly, IMHO

i have just bought the st150 upgrade, got pads last weekend and should be fitting them next week, they are just plain colour and a bit mucky, whats the best stuff to clean them with?? brake cleaner and a bowl? can i get the pistons wet? noob info needed please :)

obv im going to spray them hammerite black, is baking in an oven a good idea then?

adampuma said:
i have just bought the st150 upgrade, got pads last weekend and should be fitting them next week, they are just plain colour and a bit mucky, whats the best stuff to clean them with?? brake cleaner and a bowl? can i get the pistons wet? noob info needed please :)

No bowl! I had them sandblasted with pistons in. That way you protect the cilinders and get to clean the pistons as well. After that I dismantled them COMPLETELY and first cleaned with compressor (i.e. pressurised air) the best I could and then brake cleaner 2-3 times. Let it dry and then painted them (of course, protected all the areas which are functional; cylinders).
I bought the exhaust paint in spray which is heat resistant to 800C. If you need to bake them, it will be noted on the colour sticker on a can. It needs to be VHT (Very High Temperature) colour; only them need to be baked.
I don't know what kind of colour is hammerite black; I would recommend the oven black colour that is heat resistant. If you plan on taking your puma to racetrack, the calipers will get very hot

Comparing yours and mine, the 3mm spacer is necessary for the wheel spokes to clear the caliper retaining springs, i dont have spacers and i cant put the springs on without the wheels not being able to turn

it looks to me that calipers are st170 calipers but ford have drilled the mounting brackets further in to make them 280mm. makes you wonder why they didnt use 300mm on the st considering they had 17" wheels

ukpuma said:
it looks to me that calipers are st170 calipers but ford have drilled the mounting brackets further in to make them 280mm. makes you wonder why they didnt use 300mm on the st considering they had 17" wheels

Maybe due to difference in unsprung weight and the fact the 280's were more than up to the job

ukpuma said:

I think you are right. I bought the original Ford brakepads and on box the writing was ST170. So the pads are identical for ST150 and ST170 brakes

To all members with/getting these I highly recommend Ferodo DS2500 pads, braided hoses and ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid, had no fade on trackdays as yet :thumbs:

grayfox said:
To all members with/getting these I highly recommend Ferodo DS2500 pads, braided hoses and ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid, had no fade on trackdays as yet :thumbs:

Myself I am running on Black Diamond discs & pads, Goodridge hoses and Mobil Dot 5.1 racing fluid. Also more than up to the task for me so far. Today I did some brake tests at this abandoned airfield and only after 5 200km/h emergency stops they faded. Some smoke coming of them though :roll:

lfw5.jpg

Not including shipping:

Discs & pads - 220 pound (ordered in the UK yeah)
Calipers - 80 pounds (picked up on a holiday)
Caliper revision kit - €20 a side, makes €40,-
Goodridge brake lines - €120,-
Brake fluid, 1litre - €25,-
Spacers 3mm - €22,-

To a total off 300 pounds = 354 euro + 40+120+25+22= €561,-
That would be about 475 pounds. In my opinion thats quite allright. I've had brake discs on the car that were more expensive!

I installed them myself by the way. A garage here would charge about €150,- in labour I think.

Back