VCT solenoid - unsticking

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Arch Bishop

Hi all,

Electrical stuff is not my forte, so I wondered whether any of our sparky members could help?

My VCT solenoid has stuck open. I've found a few places on the 'net that mention grounding the valve out many times to try and unstick it. This is worth a go as the other option is a camshaft out job.

My question is how do I go about grounding it out? The back of the connector is sealed, so poking a probe in there is a no go.

Any ideas that take into account my particular lack of skills or electrical tools?

I'm fairly positive, it was "el dude" that posted over on PumaPeople:
"Solenoid Free Up. You can test/free up the solenoid by grounding out the negative side of the wiring whilst holding the car in the upper rev range."
So, hopefully, he will be along soon to give the full details.

yeah it basically involves tapping into the wiring loom of the solenoid - and grounding it whilst in the upper revs for a second at a time to try and unstick it.... A 'Forte' engine treatment might be an idea too...

Not a nice job to replace with the engine in the car...dead easy with it out.. :cool:

do both cam seals whilst your at it if you go ahead with replacement

Chris

Cheers Chris - treat me as a noob (as I am - car stereo fitting is about the height of my powers), how do I physically tap in to the wire?

If it comes to replacement, the cambelt is due so I'll note down the cam seals if that becomes the only remedy. :thumbs:

The Arch Bishop said:
[post]352265[/post] Hurstpierpoint

Mj3QqV.jpg

sliced a section of sleeve off - soldered a wire on to it long enough to get to the battery... then touched the negative terminal several times in intervals with the revs up a fair bit so you don't stall...

hope that helps...

failing that bring it up and i'll fit a new one.. :cool:

Regards

Chris

Cheers Chris - top stuff and I'll give it a go!

Sadly, going anywhere in it is a moot point! I also have a pretensioner issue that I've got to sort and something seriously amiss in the suspension that makes it quite terrifying to drive! Oh and the MOT is due. Basically, I've got to try and sort on my own! :?

Back