1.7 Engine with 1.25 Gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lceugenio

Hi, I recently applied 1.25 gearbox in 1.7 puma engine, I've read a few threads but didn't find my answer, the reverse switches are diferent.
My 1.25 gearbox from a 96 Fiesta has this reverse switch:

And the puma loom has the triangular fitting switch that goes into this:

How do I make the conversion to make it work?

Thank you

I'm assuming the top one fits the 1.25 gearbox, whereas the second one is from the original Puma gearbox as from what I remember it looks like the one I replaced on mine. You are asking how to connect the original wiring/connector to the new gearbox switch?

My only suggestion would be to splice into the original wiring & add the new connector block to suit the new switch connector (this option only for simplicity should you want to retain the original connector to revert back to an original gearbox at a later date),
or,
cut the old connector block off fully & rewire to the new one.

I don't know if this is possibly as I can't see if they both have two wires, or in fact if the wires/connectors are assigned to do the same thing on both gearboxes but I'm guessing they will.

The hardest part might actually be sourcing a new connector block on it's own :lol:

Of course, I could be totally misinterpreting your question - in which case totally ignore everything I said :lol:

Good Luck :eek:k:

Hello, thanks in advance for you answer. :grin:

The problem is that the 1.25 switch has four connection pins:

Maybe they work like two pair's? I really don't know, it's weird 😅 I thought maybe someone already had this problem and figured it out.

Ahh - I thought that may have been your problem as my solution was a very simple approach had there been 2 wires in both as I'm sure you would have thought doing yourself.

As for having 4 going to 2 it's a lot more tricky as you'll need to find out what each does so you can hopefully match up the ones you need. ;p

You could try the search box to try & find any similar threads about it but it might take a while with no results helping you. :'(

Good Luck either way. :eek:k:

I would get a multimeter and find out which terminals 'make' the circuit when the plunger is pushed. Then solder wires onto those terminals, with some heatshrink to protect. Then splice those two wires into your original reverse switch harness.

I would have thought the original is just a 'push-to-make' switch, IE the circuit is closed when reverse is selected and the plunger is pushed.

By the way, what is the benefit of the 1.25 gearbox - is it six speed?

Thank you all for your answers. :grin:

grogee said:
I would get a multimeter and find out which terminals 'make' the circuit when the plunger is pushed. Then solder wires onto those terminals, with some heatshrink to protect. Then splice those two wires into your original reverse switch harness.

I would have thought the original is just a 'push-to-make' switch, IE the circuit is closed when reverse is selected and the plunger is pushed.

That is a good idea, I'm going to try it :)

grogee said:
By the way, what is the benefit of the 1.25 gearbox - is it six speed?

Yes it's for lower ratio, looks a lot quicker in small tracks

Last resort it's to do some electrical wiring from the shift knob or change the gearbox ahah

Latest posts

Back