Black n' Nasty: My project thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj2013

Been on here a bit so as I've also been under the car quite a bit I thought it best to track my goings-on.

A few years back (in a land when even a 97 Puma was a £1500 + car) I had a red R reg 1.7. I was back on here then but don't know which email I was using, nor can I find anything I had posted before. Assuming there might have been a reset? Anyway, it was up for £500 'buy it now' on ebay needing a bit of work, rusty arches and the like, and considering the price these were going for at the time it seemed a bargain, so I trekked across the country (birmingham or coventry if I remember right) from the north west to collect the car. I arrived in a beirut type area and it was a swift happening. The puma was parked up, the guy arrived in his car, I had a look round and it seemed alright, paid, but as he was leaving he mumbled that he though the headgasket was gone. I don't recall being aware of this before that point, so rather than drive away I still had it for the money. With the expansion cap loose it made it back surprisingly fine, pinked like a bugger with anything more than very light throttle but I crawled back in around 3 hours.

That car I did a lot of work on, built the head back up with new belts, bolts and gaskets, did the arches with filler and hycote cans and it looked great, went great and kept it for a while. Eventually I had bills to pay and, being a student at the time, I chose to sell the car for not much more than £600 and at a loss.

fast forward around 6 years or so later, and I've had a few cars in between. I last had a G7 Celica 14 months ago which I sold due to living in the city and having no parking. This wasn't an issue as I lived within walking distance of work, but soon missed a car when lugging groceries from then nearest Tesco a couple of miles away. My circumstance soon changed, and I finally got the opportunity to use my degree - I'd spent ages 18-23 in the army and also doing mechanical work, with a bit of labouring here and there, but couldn't get a break. I eventually decided to go back to learning and started a degreed in Automotive Engineering, which I finished nearly 2 years ago. Getting into the right employer in that industry is difficult, as is convincing people that you didn't get a degree to go and work in a garage, but having switched to a different industry and managing to gain promotions to more than double the salary I'd started at I decided I was climbing the wrong ladder and got offered a great opportunity. I needed (and have since) relocated across the country and having seen the difference in cost of cars down south I wanted to buy a car up north and travel down with it.

I had a bit of savings but I could either spend £1500-3000 on a car that was newer, but would probably need work doing, and with the inevitable threat of a DMF or anti-pollution system to be a premium on maintenance, I had a think.
I wanted something that was good fun but good on fuel and good looking. This was leading me to diesels, and I considered a 406 coupe, but wanted something in black (in a very stupid criteria kind of way!) and I started swaying towards the TT, Z3 etc then came full circle back to a Puma.

Reading up on these I reminded myself why I wanted one a few years back, and the 'Steve McQueen ad' always shows how attractive a car it is. I'd notice that it had won a few awards since for being best used car in this category and that, but more importantly it had consistently better ratings across whatcar, parkers and other sources, especially in comparison. I also remembered that it's cross platform with the fiesta and ka, so parts were plentiful and cheap.

I'd seen and missed out on some really nice examples, and at the time (excluding the dreamers and deluded traders) it seemed that £700 would get you a great example, and a rock bottom £250 would get you one on the road, but needing work. A road legal shed of sorts.

I narrowly missed out on a sub 70k FSH 01 which went for £600, but had my eye on another. It was a reluctant plan B, as it seemed to have a bit more rust than others, but also because the photos had been taken 'wet'. This was bad for two reasons - 1, usually is hiding something, and 2, the water had no beading whatsoever, meaning it was likely it hadn't been cleaned or polished often at all. Like a greasy sheeting effect. I went for it and despite wanting to pay a max of £500, I went to £550 knowing this was nearer the price for a decent one but it seemed less of a deal.

ngst.jpg

v5i0.jpg

fufp.JPG

y17z.JPG

spm3.jpg

note: the steering wheel is 'melted' out of the ad's photo shot!

Having spent money on train tickets to get to the car it was now dark, and I was picked up by the chap in the car and it seemed to drive fine, although it had naff all fuel in it (which is always a low blow). The sellers were genuinely very nice people and the car seemed to be fine, no worries at all. I was given the normal blue ford book, the only key (always disappointing) and was 'gifted' the 2 months tax that had been taken out the window and was going to be cashed in. I was also told that the bonnet had a small mark on it but it was 'probably where someone had sat on it' and it hadn't been in a bump. This was beginning to sound nothing like the car I'd bought. There wasn't a tax disc holder to put the disc in and the windscreen was damp, so it stayed on the passenger seat.

The ad also said it had £160 spent on two new tyres for the MOT, so I expected decent tyres - unfortunately they're called something similar to ChingWong Supreme, so perhaps a '0' too many on the estimated cost... :roll:

Driving away to the bottom of the road it got very foggy inside very quickly, so it had obviously been wet inside or left sitting for a while. I stuck in £30 of fuel and set off. This was the least of my concerns as on the way back, although it was wet, the clutch started slipping badly between 4th and 5th. I wasn't sure if I had a lazy left foot so carried on regardless. By this point I'd spent nearly £60 in fuel and transport (10% of the value) so just had to sigh. On the drive the engine management light also came onto compound things.

Pulling up in the pay and display near my flat I had heard rattling in the glovebox, so I tried to investigate but the whole glovebox fell off in my hand. Having had enough by this point, I went in for the night feeling disappointed.

The mrs wasn't very impressed with me at this point, but even more so when I went to check the levels before driving to the shop the next day. The bonnet wouldn't open and was wedged shut. A bit more encouragement got the bonnet open, at which point it was catching very badly by the 'bit where someone sat on it'. Engine bay looked very neglected and oil was black but levels were okay. I then discovered that the bonnet wouldn't close at all. I was not popular with the other half by this point! The interior, described as clean, was now (in the daylight) very tatty. The paint on the CD player (standard 6000 unit) was peeling off and the drivers seat had white paint stains on it. The bodywork was also a lot worse when dried than I expected, with the arches looking much worse than the photos. When I inspected the docs, it had no SH (which it didn't say it did to be fair) and the mot had a list of advisories basically describing every corner of the car having worn suspension and bushes, plus corroded fuel and brake pipes.

I'd considered leaving negative feedback after all this, and although it was perhaps my fault for not being thorough when I turned up, the idea of ebay is to take condition based on photos and the description, which stated it "Drives well" and had a "clean interior". In addition, spending £30 on a train and being driven back to someones house in an unfamiliar area puts you at a disadvantage, especially as I'd got the last train. I decided to contact the guy before leaving the feedback to explain why I felt that way, and although I'd already filled the car with fuel and spent on going to view the car, the guy said he wanted the car back and I'd have to bring it back to him, minus £100 off the price I paid. I refused this as it would mean I'd have paid £200 for a very pointless weekend of disappointment. Long story short, I got £125 back towards costs/contribution to the clutch and other parts. I was now left with having to move 200 miles across the country with a car on its last legs.

A trip to the shop after this point resulted in the temp gauge shooting to the red and the heaters going cold. I swiftly pulled over and bled the system to avoid any permanent damaged, but felt a little extra peeved by this point. I felt like I'd paid double what this car was worth, even with some money back. It essentially had no real redeeming points.

Faced with no other option, I managed to limp yet another puma across the country to its new home. What started from here was a massive outlay on parts to be added to the fitting queue including:

(new parts)

- 2 x Bottom Arms
- 2 x ARB Drop links
- Rear polybushes
- Gen. Ford brake shoes and fuel filter
- Gen. Ford timing belt kit (due to no service history and evidence of poor maintenance)
- New wishbone bolts (2 subframe and 1 knuckle per side)
- Gearbox Oil 75w90 semi syth 5ltr
- Sachs clutch kit
- Sachs Concentric Slave Cylinder
- Air Filter, Pollen Filter, Oil Filter
- Shell Helix 5w30
- bosch spark plugs
- rocker cover gasket and some liquid gasket
- braided brake hoses to replace the crusty set
- weitec adjustable coilovers (used)
- thermostat
- water pump

- replacement driver's side bonnet hinge and a spare wheel tray (not included!) from a scrap yard.

also picked up some kurust, davids 'metalik', primer and bodyshop mixed panther black & lacquer ready to do a short term rust fix. A tin of Hammerite black 'straight to rust' will be applied to the underside of the sills too as a short term measure.

The bitter sweet is that although work has been delayed until possibly january, it has given me time to try and tackle the important issues.

8zsr.jpg

The car was driven into the Puma Hospital!

Not a lot of space to work on the car, but it was dry and secure

zzed.jpg

The engine bay was a little cleaner after I'd given a quick once over when replacing the hinge before moving.

dsut.jpg

I also had a lovely knob (see topic in general puma chat!)

9pr9.jpg

Mostly, what started was a sign of things to come. I've had around about ~51 cars in my time, some cheap sheds that got sold on, some rust buckets that got split for parts, but I've never had one quite as bad as this was with the condition it was in. Every bolt so far has been a nightmare and severely seized, sheared or needed to be extracted due to rounded heads.

eqoh.JPG

The lower arms were original ford items, possibly original ones - they were ford items as per the bushes, which were far from good safe condition!

jwj1.jpg

Comparison of old and new

qa4y.jpg

This condition continued as did the stripdown, with the clutch hydraulic pipe becoming one with the CSC through corrosion

q86g.jpg

The gearbox was also a nightmare to remove, with more seized bolts and one that sheared clean off with only a 3/8 ratchet. The gear linkage was fully seized on and required a lot of coaxing. Eventually, I got to the clutch with the 'box off.

lch5.jpg

Caught it perhaps just in time before the flywheel started to suffer

9gi6.jpg

On close inspection, an original motorcraft part. Whether it was the original one I'm not sure

pgbq.jpg

So, the new sachs unit was aligned up and ready to fit

lgj3.jpg

q848.jpg

9bki.jpg

In the meantime, the gearbox was coated in grease oil and dirt - I didn't want to put it back in like this, and although I didn't have the time or equipment to do a thorough job, I did have Mr Muscle...

ukma.jpg

rr0f.jpg

some scrubbing later, not perfect, but a lot cleaner

49ge.jpg

and eventually back in

peko.jpg

I've done some more since, but so far this has taken quite a lot of blood, sweat and energy. What should have been an easy job was complicated by overdue poor maintenance. A part of me has felt sorry for the car and hopefully it should be worth it in the long run!

Well done CJ you're a trooper for doing all that work. I hope everything's alright after this.
Barry

Thanks!

I've got quite a bit left to fit, and unfortunately as I replace more stuff I find more issues.

Currently in the process of doing the waterpump, stat and timing side of things. I had a non A/C puma previously and it was all a doddle, however this time round it seems far more difficult as this one has A/C meaning the PAS pump prevents the belt cover from coming off, meaning more faffing. Due to the car's constant seized bolts, the PAS bracket has been a nightmare to loosen. The cover is off now, but as to be expected the tightest bolt on the car (crank pulley) is extra tight. I've ordered a new breaker bar to assist as well as the flywheel locking tool (goes in place of the starter) to hopefully assist.

I don't want to do the math on what it owes me so far, I'm concentrating more on the fact that there shouldn't be a lot that can need doing after I've fitted everything (I hope)....

Oh dear bit of a nightmare car to start with but should be worth doing in the end and good for quite a few years

Wow, hats off to you for having kept going with it. Seems like that puma is in much better hands now :)

I think it's because I'm just stubborn.... :?

But I guess the idea is that you could spend £1000 on a car and you could never expect it to be in mint mechanical order, or you could spend ~£500 on a puma, and the other £500 can pretty much buy you every consumable part for the car.

I'd like to have done a full strip down and "restore", but I didn't really have the money/space, so maybe if this one behaves itself long enough then I might look at that again in the summer.

For now, though, still lots to do!

Hoping for a tool to arrive today so I can crack on and get some more stuff done

I spent £1500 on mine 3 years ago, when i got it home, I realised the slam panel had been replaced at some point, a new inner wing, something happened with the O/S rear quarter, it had yellow bumpers underneath the black and paintwork in general looked like it had been dragged through a hedge.

Basically a millenium puma had been used to repair this one, which was meant to be black when I got it. It's only saving grace was that it had the full Recaro interior which at the time is what I wanted. Shame it's not black! I don't know why anyone thought dark bluey purple was a good idea.

I've since spent £2000 getting it re-sprayed and the arches done. And now I'm in the process of repairing the floor which is nearly done.

I'm fairly certain I paid way over the odds for it. It had just done 68k when I got it, and it's still not got to 70 now :lol:

So in all, I don't think you've done toooo badly :)

moondustka said:
I spent £1500 on mine 3 years ago, when i got it home, I realised the slam panel had been replaced at some point, a new inner wing, something happened with the O/S rear quarter, it had yellow bumpers underneath the black and paintwork in general looked like it had been dragged through a hedge.

Basically a millennium puma had been used to repair this one, which was meant to be black when I got it. It's only saving grace was that it had the full Recaro interior which at the time is what I wanted. Shame it's not black! I don't know why anyone thought dark bluey purple was a good idea.

I've since spent £2000 getting it re-sprayed and the arches done. And now I'm in the process of repairing the floor which is nearly done.

I'm fairly certain I paid way over the odds for it. It had just done 68k when I got it, and it's still not got to 70 now :lol:

So in all, I don't think you've done toooo badly :)

Less than 2k in 3 years? Guessing it's not your daily driver!

It's been on the road for a total of about 4-5 months I think :roll: it's a bit of a long story (check my thread) but the gist of it... I took it off the road fairly soon after I bought it (Feb 2010), did the engine conversion, got it running. Then came off the road for winter (2011), then decided to re-do a load of bits surrounding the engine, got it running again (May 2012), blew gearbox up and has been off the road since September 2012!

So, no it's not my daily driver :lol: Me and the gf share a Leon FR. For work I have a van. Fortunate in that sense. Given another chance I'm not sure I would buy my puma again, but it's turned out ok.

The form continues on the puma, with this being the result of moving the brake hose out of the way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrDrh-DpHK4[/youtube]

The car has an MOT (was done by previous owner not too long ago), and I'd already bought some replacement braided hoses - scary stuff!

The crud continued further, despite plusgas and careful handling, the plasticine bleed nipple decided to become a 2 part component

znlq.jpg

Does anyone know the size of the bleed nipples? Looks like they need to be replaced now too :/

I'd consider a whole upgrade, but don't really have any larger wheels to accommodate them

I had that happen to me too. The thread on a brake nipple is m10x 1.0 I think.

Has that brake nipple snapped? If so drill a slightly bigger hole in the centre, tap a torx bit into it and try to turn it out again.

moondustka said:
I had that happen to me too. The thread on a brake nipple is m10x 1.0 I think.

Has that brake nipple snapped? If so drill a slightly bigger hole in the centre, tap a torx bit into it and try to turn it out again.

Nooooooo............

yrfl.jpg

facepalmns.jpg

Oh well, never mind. sucker is in there for good I think...

So, got on with my life for a bit. Pushed the car out of the Puma Hospital for a bit so I could clean the floor and have a general tidy up

jjfy.jpg

Decided to refill the gearbox oil at this point, made this lot for about £2 using wilkos and ebay!

dkir.jpg

What came out almost brimmed a 2ltr Sprite bottle, so I put in around 2l + 200ml to account for the extra, spillage etc.

Measured using a cheap jug that has seen many a scrambled egg, retired to garage duty

Fresh semi synthetic gloop - the old stuff looked like engine oil and had a red tinge, little concerned it had the wrong oil in before.

3p3f.jpg

I can see why it's considered 'lifetime' fluid, felt like I would be that long slowly filling up the funnel :?

Whilst I had the car out, got the mrs involved with all the enthusiasm a partner has for such things, and bled the clutch through until the fresh fluid came through. The old stuff needed completely pushing through, as you can see.

5uv2.jpg

cwij.jpg

Quite hard to see, but VERY cloudy and contaminated. Saw a bit of separation in the fluid, so well past it.

To save some dosh I dismantled and fixed my door mirror rather than replace it (added in How To Guides).

This is because I decided that it's best sometimes to think pragmatically and decided that the car needs to stop, and it's best to continue with the same method I have with the rest of the car.

Ordered the car 2 new (remanufactured) brake calipers (CA2004 and CA2004R). I decided that although there's a lot of life left in the old discs and pads, they best be replaced for new too. Got a full set of Mintex Discs & Pads.

Yesterday I ordered some new rear cylinders also, expect to see more of the same as I did the front so did this in advance.

Not a clue how much I'm spending so far, but I'd expect that it should be quite a bit :-(

To be fair, as there's no labour cost there is some savings to be had, but means I need to keep the car for some years to ensure that I get my moneys worth!

Shame the outside looks so scabby at the moment...

can confirm it is 10x1mm thread, try and get stainless nipples if you can, you'll be grateful for them later

Ouch! That nipple must really be in there!! Twisted and snapped!

Probably best getting re-manufactured callipers as you have. I've drilled them out entirely and scraped the thread out before.

So recently I've been struggling to get the bastard crank pulley bolt out, and it's been a nightmare.

I resorted today to lowering the weight of the car onto the breaker bar to crack the nut, and just as I was about to give up after 2 hours of trying, it finally loosened.

This 'super tight bolt' thing is starting to get stupid on this car.

So, quite a few bits arrived today including these:

6tpk.jpg

So having got a bit further and knocked my nuts and bolts stash over (so now I have to guess where it all belongs :x ) I did the water pump

q1dj.jpg

The old item was a plastic impeller ford item. Not a clue how old it is, but I'd suggest it's been there for the duration.

f944.jpg

New one has a metal impeller, which is always good.

Here's the new one in place

smrn.jpg

Turning my attention to the cambelt, this is always a worry - timing marks on the ZSE.... :roll:

c646.jpg

So having readied the crank for locking, and removing this little bugger which was all but seized in (or at least super tight)

q6w9.jpg

I carried on. Worrying things #'s 2 and 3 - see who spots why I was concerned (2 things to spot)....

qzdn.jpg

I left it there and called it a night - some twat has over-tightened the exhaust pulley so I actually broke the adjustable spanner trying to loosen the bolt.

Starting to think I've bought a real headache of a car :/

also had to order a new thermostat housing, the old one had cracked by the gasket on the inside -better to replace than risk it

CherryVimto said:
You put the marks on the rocker cover, which you've then taken off!

Fortunately, this wouldn't be a disadvantage as I'm not quite idiotic enough to put timing marks on floating calipers!

It's nothing I've done, it's someone elses crap I'm concerned about...

Bearing in mind I haven't loosened the pulleys yet (as a gorilla apparently torqued them up), yet in that photo I have the locking bar in and the pulleys are 180 degrees out? :?

As well as this, the bolt used on the exhaust pulley isn't the correct one, and seems pretty stuck in. No doubt some todge has used locktite or something like that, and wouldn't surprise me if I ended up having to replace the camshaft by the time the weekend is over

Update for the day...

Didn't get much time today as the other half had visitors and I also woke up with vertigo that lasted several hours :(

Went out to get something from the garage and thought I'd have a quick go at the exhaust pulley and only managed to get the bugger moving. Hurrah.

Spurred me on to do some more work...

I've ordered a replacement thermostat housing. Wasn't too happy with this:

xg1c.jpg

38hk.jpg

Better to replace things like this than do all the work I have and leave stupid stuff like this..

So, cracked on and removed the old tensioner and belt, replaced the crank bolts. Old one isn't too old by the looks of it, and the belt has definitely been done, not a clue when though and it's not gates/ford stuff. Old and new bolts

titg.jpg

Put the new belt on, bottom cover, pulley and new bolt:

85so.jpg

Belt cover looks dirty but its sort of melted. Dunno why. Cleaned it up as best I could though.

Had these ready too, so sorted out the drivers side whilst I was twiddling my thumbs. Added some tough VHT paint to the non contact areas of the discs in hope they'll look fresh for longer

ou9p.jpg

slz7.jpg

Crap photo, but never want to take a decent camera outside with grease and oil all over my hands!

Need to undo the inlet cam bolt and replace it, pretty tight as you'd expect :/ Hopefully getting into rhythm now, but still waiting on some important parts

Whilst waiting for some other stuff to be delivered, I sorted the time out today

Well, as best I could. It was being an utter twat - did everything by the book, but the VCT kept allowing for slack in the cams meaning while everything was lined up as it should and torqued, it didn't start turning the inlet cam until around 5 degrees in (meaning that after some revolutions, the bar wouldn't slot in).
Did this several times over, in the end I got there but took several frustrating attempts.

This car is just being a challenge of some sort I think, as this isn't the first time I've done these jobs (although it was 4 years ago I last did it).

Anyway...

Camshaft seal didn't seem to have any issues when I inspected it for scraping off the silicone from the head.

vz8n.jpg

Also changed for a new bolt

6d8c.jpg

First fitting of the tensioner meant that the backing plate had slipped due to the pin coming out a little too much, noticeable from the lower bolt being too near the spring in the slot

76qw.jpg

Reset it properly so the tensioner was correct before torquing

rhwe.jpg

Just one of the attempts to get the bastard to time correctly

wfx1.jpg

Made sure the cambelt covers were nice and grease/dirt free before refitting.

mgkl.jpg

Managed to get the majority back together with far too much time farting around getting the PAS pump back in place and refitting the new cam cover gasket

kj8d.jpg

And then all of a sudden, it bit me. So called it a night.

obqh.jpg

Still waiting for the thermostat housing before I can fit everything back on the engine.

So far -

2 x Lower Arms fitted
2 x Anti-Roll Bar drop links fitted
Front weitec coilovers fitted
New Discs and Pads O/S/F fitted
New Calipers O/S/F fitted
Braided brake hoses OSF partially fitted
Sachs Clutch & CSC fitted & bled
New 75w90 S/S gearbox oil filled
New Waterpump fitted
Genuine Ford Cambelt and Tensioner fitted with new bolts

To do list:

New Thermostat housing (ordered)
New Thermostat (to be fitted)
New Spark Plugs, Shell Helix 5w30, Oil Filter, Pollen Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter (to be fitted)
Braided brake hoses all round (to be fitted)
NSF mintex disc and pads with new Caliper (to be fitted)
Rear Coilovers (to be fitted)
Rear trailing arm bushes (to be fitted)
Rear brake cylinders (ordered)
New brake shoes (to be fitted)
New inlet manifold gasket (to be fitted)

I think that's about it, I might have missed bits off but unfortunately still quite a bit to get through :/

Back