Can pumas tow?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazeHew

Okay so I've loved the puma for years & I've always said that I want it to be my first car, and as I'm finishing uni this year it seems like the time for me to get my first car is coming ever closer.

My problem is that I love sailing, so whatever car I get would need to be capable of towing a boat around. From what I've read the boat I have weighs about 60kg and a trailer would apparently weigh similar, so I'll round up and say approx. 150kg. total towing weight.

I guess my first question is whether it's easy to attach a towbar to a puma, and my second question is whether they can tow that much weight.
Thanks in advance!
Matt

Hi.
I would imagine whilst towing your insurance would be invalidated. Imaging being involved in an accident while towing....do you think your insurance would entertain a claim. I think we all know the answer to that one.

Agreed, I don't think the Puma is the appropriate car to be towing in sadly.

It would tow that weight no problem at all. The only issue (other than notifying your insurance company) is that the spare wheel is held in a carrier underneath the rear of the car where you would need to attach a low bar. Everything is possible though!

At a total of 150 kilos it would in my head be about the same as a Yamaha R1 and trailer - can’t see any issue with it. Anything more, maybe get something heavier duty to it

Sorry but the puma isn't approved for towing,so if caught by vosa you will be fined,then potentially could be taken to court for no insurance. If you need to tow regularly then you will need a different car.

That wasn’t the question was it?
Answers are, yes it’s easy but that’s relative to who is fitting it and, 150 kilos shouldn’t be a problem.

Hi.
I have had my Puma for 19 years. I did sail a Fireball dingy and travel to events. Of course the Puma is more than adequate as a towing vehicle. But legally I had to use another car. In my opinion it's not worth potentially risking your licence if something was to go wrong.

Back