Can't unlock car !

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Woodward

On Monday the key fob failed, changed the battery, but wouldn't reprogram. So acquired another fob and successfully reprogrammed it Ok, left window open and it locked and unlocked Ok, so closed window and locked up Ok. Just went out to get something out of the car and it won't unlock remotely or with the key, so I'm totally stuck.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Hi John . Try WD40 using the straw into the lock and gently work the key back and forth . Hopefully with some patience, it will eventually open . Failing that try the passenger side using the WD40.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Panic over unlocked Ok with the non remote key.
The locks were fine, as I'd been locking it manually on both doors for the last couple of days.
About 10 years ago, on a Quantum saloon I had a lock motor burn out and blow the fuse and it wouldn't unlock the doors with the key, eventually got in through the boot which didn't have central locking.

On most Puma's including mine , the key won't work on the boot lock. I think they sieze up as they aren't usually opened with the key. WD40 didn't free the boot lock but worked on both door locks for me.

I have just started driving my Puma after quite a long interval...broken foot, Covid, frozen shoulder etc etc
Battery flat so locks wouldn't work, man came and charged it, no problem until I went out on Sunday and I was locked in my car..driver side would not open..had to climb over to passenger side to get out and back in
Took it home husband tried to open it and it did immediately!
Now it won't open at all from inside or out..central locking sounds as if it is working...I can't keep climbing over to passenger side...help!

If you are to have any chance of reviving the battery , it will need to be trickle charged with an old type of charger at 2-4 Amps for 8-10 hours.
However the battery maybe shot

What might be happening here is that the battery voltage isn't sufficient to operate the locks properly.

On the other hand , as the other door opens ok, it does just sound like the drivers door lock is sticking

Assuming you haven't locked the door from the inside whilst driving. (which then rules out a central locking issue) , then it sounds like the lock itself is sticking from not being used for ages have you tried WD40/Gt85 on the lock mechanism yet on the end of the door?
with the door open & then place a screwdriver to test in place of the door pillar catch . That way the door be stuck closed and you can manipulate the screwdriver to free off the catch with the door open.

Latest posts

Back