Cleaning steering wheel?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingcat

Hi guys
I seem to remember cleaning my 1st puma
with a generic leather, after which it rapidly
deteriorated, and got bobbly.

What do you use? Is it actual leather?

Cheers

K

Steering wheel leather turns crappy after some time, regardless of a treatment.

I just retrimmed it completely... http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wash it with soapy water and apply leather conditioner when dry. It worked for my last Puma - I scraped the 'crap' off with my nails!

I tried to clean mine and it just made it much worse, ended up looking like a battered suede shoe, I ended up having to roll it all flat and smooth again using a small maglite as a roller :(

I scraped mine with an old bank/credit card.
Didn't really look any better. Just less.... lumpy :?

its the glue coming through the leather. the wheel will need cleaning and re lacquering to stop it again any good leather lacquer will do.

Intensive tar remover worked for me but then my steering wheel has done 45k and has no wear as such.

I used alcohol, leather treatment from aldi (£3), and a potato peeler to get the crud off, worked like a charm!

Usef ag leather cleaner( lotta dirt came off -
thought id knackered it).
But 10 mins later with ag leather balm came
up a treat .

To answer the original question, no it is not leather. Lots of people say it is, but it ain't. Some leather cleaning products might work on the pvc, but that doesn't mean it's leather (After all, metal polish shines plastic, but it's still plastic)

The steering wheel on my high mileage Thunder was terrible and vey sticky, I was thinking of getting a steering wheel cover, but thought I'd try white spirit and some course emery paper, then a wire brush, surprisingly it worked for me. If anyone tries this, do so at your own risk.

YOG said:
All the Ford Puma brochures state it is leather!
I know. Stick a hot needle in it to reveal the truth. The trend is to use "leather" loosely, and only to use "real leather" when it is animal hide. I bought a leather briefcase once on Ebay and got so p****ed off arguing with the seller that I sent it him back melted into a plastic blob. I don't think I got positive feedback. :grin:

Latest posts

Back