Dashcams... any experiences/advice?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuonokid

After having quite a few near misses over the last few months caused by idiots doing everything other than concentrating on driving I am considering buying and fitting a dashcam. I don't know much about them but what I've seen so far is 1080 vid a must, for me it must be downloadable to my computer via USB and generally be simple to use, oh, and not too expensive too.
Anyone have any experience or information which may help?
Cheers
Barry

I don't have a massive amount of experience with them but from what I've seen avoid the really cheap ones or else you'll just be wasting money. I've known people get £20 ones that claim 1080p but give a picture so bad that they've just been binned.
I've got a Nextbase 212 which is generally alright however the image is a bit grainy.

Hi Mate
Yeah, Nextbase ones seem to be mentioned quite a lot online but one of the issues against them seems to be battery life and once the battery goes they won't even work wired in. My friend gave me a cheapo Chinese one but it's no good for me as it requires a card reader to download it and I have no instructions for it as well. How much was the 212?
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]366298[/post] but it's no good for me as it requires a card reader
A SD card reader is only a couple of quid (make sure it comes with the adaptors for miniSD and microSD cards as well.) You just put the card in it and plug the reader into a USB port on your PC and then find it with your Windows file manager (Explorer?) and it'll be listed as a drive, like your C Drive, etc. You then just play the contents with your media player of choice.

I know nothing about dashcams though.

I would just kindly warn you to check if there is any legislation about the use of dashcams. I know for a fact they are illegal in Germany and Austria on grounds of privacy. In nutshell, you should have written premission of all the owners of the cars which do end up on your recording...
Don't know what the law says in UK, but something to consider as well....?

I've never heard of a UK law which prevents the usage of dashcams. They are prevalent here and I'm sure even encouraged in some cases by the authorities to provide the footage as evidence.

Hi Sinisa and Red
Yes they are legal here and from what I've read online it sounds like some insurers offer discounts if you have an approved one as Adrian Flux (Cue Dan).

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]366305[/post] I know for a fact they are illegal in Germany and Austria on grounds of privacy.
Time to check your facts again then - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-dashcams/german-court-accepts-footage-from-single-dashcam-to-convict-driver-idUSKCN0YB23I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=not5pgZ1Be8

...especially as of April 2018, EU law degrees that all new cars are, er, fitted with a dashcam.

This one was a tricky one for the Germans. Ever since the end of WWII, the whole of East Germany had been under constant surveillance by the Stasi (secret police controlled by the USSR) and the situation was made far worse by their use of unofficial informants (inoffizielle Mitarbeiter) which ended up with brother informing on brother, etc. Think of a world like George Orwell's 1984 and you get the picture.

So, imagine their delight in recent years when some old bugger sits at a roundabout and continuously filmed them with a dashcam and then uses that footage to report them to the plod! (incidentally, many of our own speed cameras don't work, just because the system couldn't cope and not out of concerns for privacy, etc) The Germans got around it by classifying continuous dashcam use as surveillance cameras, for which they already had restricting legislation in effect (mainly because of the Stasi stuff) and allowing 'reasonable cause' use of dashcams and indeed are prepared to accept/convict on said evidence that complies to that use.

Quite how anyone is going to know that they will have reasonable cause in advance and only then turn their dashcams on is a bit of a mystery and a grey area, but to ensure fairness in a democracy it has always been necessary to develop a bit of a blind spot in certain areas. :)

Ok, Frank, taht was some recent(ish) development I was not aware of! I know they were illegal as such in Austria especially and you could be fined by police if they spotted you were running a dashcam...

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]366313[/post] Ok, Frank, that was some recent(ish) development I was not aware of!
The Stuttgart appeal was May 2016, but yeah, fairly recent.

tuonokid said:
[post]366309[/post] Hi Sinisa and Red
Yes they are legal here and from what I've read online it sounds like some insurers offer discounts if you have an approved one as Adrian Flux (Cue Dan).
Hi.
Yes a number of our schemes do offer discount however they will now accept any HD dash cam.
Thanks,
Dan.

Any update on a Dash cam that gives reasonable quality footage that will show the number plates of offending culprits.
I am also interested in a rear facing dashcam to film the twats who tailgate and try to intimidate , whilst I am keeping to the correct speed limits.
Any recommendations please?

Hi Paul
In the end I bought a Mio MiVue C325 and I've had it for about a week now but I still haven't had the chance to take out the card and view footage yet. It does seem easy to use, though.
Barry

I've recently bought a Nextbase 412GW. I also got the hardwiring kit and a friend helped me install it.

Once set up it was easy to use. Mine is forward facing only but fits your criteria otherwise.

Hi Barry & Ben,
What's the quality of the footage like ?
Are number plates clearly readable on your device?

Sorry about refloating an old topic, but i would like to recommend than, when buying a new dashcam, try to get a capacitor powered ones, as these are less sensitive to the heat than the Li-Ion battery ones.

Latest posts

Back