Dashcams... any experiences/advice?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add, I have a Nextbase 322GW & a rear cam that connects to it too :)

Was a bit of a PITA pushing the wiring for the rear view cam through the roof liner but was (eventually!) achieved :)

Reactions: red
I've thought about them, kinda get and like the idea but couldn't get on with it. I did have one for a while, while I was commuting, but I don't really like looking at them stuck in front of the windscreen.

Same when I tried a camera on my motorcycle helmet, I just felt it was unnecessary.

I don't see mine as it fits snuggly infront of the rear view mirror - nicely complying with the law regarding them!

I'm sure they've come a long way since the last time I had one, it certainly wouldn't have hidden behind the rear view mirror!

I'm sure they've come a long way since the last time I had one, it certainly wouldn't have hidden behind the rear view mirror!
I'll grab a pic or two & post them in the next few days, you'll see how neat they are now :)

Hi everybody.

It's a long time since I have been here, evidenced by how out of date my profile image is - the daily driver Skoda has been replaced by a daily driver Caddy.

I decided I needed a dashcam on the V8R mostly for continental driving. I always feared a collision with some random Frog swearing I was on the wrong side of the road and me not having sufficient French to argue the toss.

It's not a thing of joy or an accessory I particularly want to display, and for me the absolute ideal solution was the Garmin Mini, which you can pick up for around a hundred quid now.

In use it is totally concealed behind the mirror. It requires no attention from me, so I don't need to see it. But it does have a cheery little beep as I start up to let me know it is on duty. I am not certain why anyone would want the camera in their line of vision, nor why they need a screen. Cheap as chips, if you want to fit a second one to guard the back that is still affordable.

I haven't needed it, I do once in a while hoik out the SD card and just check it is still capturing every moment.

Here is the installation

Capture.jpg

And here just for laughs is the unmarked police car proceeding at a legal 60 mph on a national speed limit road as I blew past him at a little under 90 mph on my way to earning another speed awareness course.

Capture.jpg

I hope you guys are all good. I still smile when I see a loved Puma on the road. Keep that little car alive please guys.

Hate the new Puma.

X11VVX

Funny you mention the Garmin Mini Rob as I was looking at those recently. Think there's a new mini 2 out now so might be worth checking that out.

I recommend the nextbase dashcam,order it direct from their website,and you can make your own package deal,also get the nextbase hardwire kit,as I found ebay specials cause interference with radio

Funny you mention the Garmin Mini Rob as I was looking at those recently. Think there's a new mini 2 out now so might be worth checking that out.

I just went on to Halfords and got the Mini 2 for £108. I added the camera, then the cable and it made the cable free. Then with joining the free "club" I got another £5 off, then a MOTORING10 promo code gave 10% off.
Couldn't say no!
Screenshot_2023-03-26-19-12-24-23_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg

I swear by the various viofo dashcams Ive got a couple of A119s and a A129 in different vehicles all of them knocking on in years now, and they're just reliable. Also wedge shaped so possible (and I do) mount behind the mirror out of the way.

Latest posts

Back