Decline of the Ford Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rick
Yes it's very sad now you rarely see a Puma on a weekly basis now. There's a silver one that I see occasionally which must be fairly local to me but apart from that....zip. Three years ago there were 3 Pumas around me including one Milly. At least we know ours will be on the road for a good few years. The Thunder I have on SORN is stripped now so will never be coming back on the road and I guess that most of the others Sorned will be the same as the repairs will be rot oriented rather than mechanical.
Barry

This is fascinating to me. We don't have tracking like this in the US, it would be really cool to be able to look these numbers up.
Of course, when we take a car off the road we don't have to report it, we just cancel our registration and insurance and that's that, so there's no way of knowing how many permanent garage ornaments are out there. We do have a titling process, but once its titled in your name, that process is over until you transfer ownership.
Our version of your MOT is quite different as well, and varies by state or sometimes locality...It seems like your program is generally more strict than most states, but I like that you are given time to fix "advisories".
It seems like this helps you keep cars on the road longer in general by forcing you to fix the issues before they go too far, but on the other hand it seems to force a lot of cars into early retirement for people who cant or don't want to fix the issues. I'll bet your junkyards are full of great cars that didn't have to be there.

Hey Barry,

On what you said regarding the Thunder, how does it work if a car is declared SORN and then stripped? Does it remain SORN forever or does it get declared destroyed in some way? I'm only interested because there's a few vehicles I check in on that have been SORN for 7 years and I wondered whether they may have been stripped.

mmc757 yes out MOTs have a lot of good guidelines, we aren't anywhere near as strict as some of our continental brothers. Iknow in America some of the vehicles seem to follow no standards at all, like big wheels that have no fenders surrounding them (trucks mainly), that would fail here.

red said:
Hey Barry,

On what you said regarding the Thunder, how does it work if a car is declared SORN and then stripped? Does it remain SORN forever or does it get declared destroyed in some way? ...

It would appear they stay sorned forever, Just checked some of my old cars and they are shown as sorned when they were, in fact, scrapped years ago.

Hi Guys
You are supposed to report to DVLA when the car is finally scrapped but I don't think the goverenment like people to do this themseves as there are environmental issues to dispose of certain substances so most people will just leave on SORN.
Barry

Yup, SORN lasts indefinitely until the DVLA are notified that the vehicle is taxed, sold, scrapped or permanently exported.

Hypothetically: If one was in the situation where the vehicle was stripped, the remains could essentially be 'scrapped' by other means and then be declared as being exported.

Latest posts

Back