DVLA - New rules on MOT testing for light vehicles

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOG

Guidance
Coronavirus (COVID-19): MOTs for cars, vans and motorcycles due from 30 March 2020

Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.
This will continue until confirmed otherwise.
This will allow vehicle owners to continue to be able to get to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home or do essential shopping.
Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and drivers can be prosecuted if they drive an unsafe vehicle.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

Guidance
Coronavirus (COVID-19): MOTs for cars, vans and motorcycles due before 30 March 2020

What to do if your car, van or motorcycle’s MOT due date is up to and including 29 March 2020.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-before-30-march-2020

I read somewhere - probably that link you posted or similar - that there was no guidance on what happens if your tax runs out and your car is within the 6 months extension as you're not usually allowed to tax without a current mot.

Badly thought out as usual unless they sorted it out since I read about it last week.

Can't be arsed to check lol :lol:

EDIT:-

Ok, just checked, they are updating the expired MOT's before they expire with a new date so taxing can be done later on if needed. :wink:

Just for clarity, the MOT of one of my bikes was due on Friday 10th April, it's just been updated on DVLA website and is now due Oct 10th. :grin:
See before and after screen shots attached

Attachments

• guzzi.jpg
    guzzi.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2020-03-25 MOTO GUZZI BREVA - Check MOT history.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-25 MOTO GUZZI BREVA - Check MOT history.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 57
So when you get it tested just before 10th October 2020, will that be valid until October or April 2021? :pinkeye:

Offsets the MOT away from Tax and insurance time of year at least.

Although buggers up doing the MOT and Service together... Might just do it 6 months later to get it back to normal.. :?

Puts mine back in line with each other again :lol:

Although my tax date changes often. I've taxed it 3 times in the last 6 months. Just sorned it last month as can't go anywhere anyway so might as well save £47.50 a month while in lockdown. :roll:

Latest posts

Back