Euro 5 compliance kit: exhaust catalyst

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alerno

Hi everybody,

I find myself terribly depressed. I damaged my little and beloved Pumita a week ago (I stupidly thought the car had stopped, reached for a cushion on the floor and hit a tree) The damage is far, far more serious than I could imagine. The official Ford garage (who are yet to send me the list of damaged parts) have mentioned subframe, steering box, arms... the lot. They gave me a quote of 3000 euro for the repairs but they say the parts for it no longer exist (neither in the UK or Germany)

I have probably means of finding all the parts in good condition in scrap yards but still the price might be in the thousands.

My problem is: Barcelona and Sant Cugat (the two cities I live near to) have banned old cars from circulating within these cities. So it wouldn't necessarily make financial sense to invest thousands of euros for a car I can't normally use in the city.

Here is the question: Has anyone ever heard of a RESTRICTION KIT, exhaust, catalyst so that our cars get better environmental qualification? I remember when I owned BMWs, there were kits for sale that would reclassify your emissions' category: they lowered horsepower, killed the ehxaust sound but improved emissions.

Of course I would miss every horsepower lost, of course I would miss the sound, but I would kill to be able to keep my little gem going.

ANY info, any would be massively appreciated. I love my Puma far too much to part ways from him. It has become a life crisis. Like, really. I have been literally psychologically depressed the last days.

Any help is appreciated.

If you made an upgrade in terms of emissions, who would determine what class is it? The later 2 lambda models are Euro3 compliant. I would think, with really well thought exhaust and remap euro4 MIGHT be doable, but it all speculation...
What happens if you make an engine swap and put in, say, 3 cylinder ecoboost of the same power (125 bhp)? That one should be at least Euro5 if someone bothers to test it, I would think...?
1.6 ecoboost, even in its detuned version of 150 bhp is plenty strong enough and again, at least Euro5 compliant...

Thanks for the reply but I am not sure I understand you. Or if you do me.

I want the easiest possible conversion so that I can keep driving my car. I thought adding a lambda would be easiest/most economical. I thought the MoT equivalent (ITV, like TüV) would also sanction the so called "reform" so as to reclassify the car to Euro 3.

All cars below Euro 2 are not allowed to circulate here: it is a question of whether I can drive my car or not.

If you had the correct loom and parts of course you could add the extra lambda, whether that would re-classify it for you I do not know and I think that is what Wild E. was trying to say, i.e. if you change all the parts to make use of the second lambda and potentially reduce the emissions of your early car, how do they re-class this? who will decide if this is acceptable.

I don't think he was suggesting to switch engines with an ecoboost but just asking whether if you did that in your country would someone then decide your Puma is Euro 5?

It's not worth you going to the trouble of changing the parts to use the extra Lambda if there's not someone who will agree with you and sign it off as Euro 3

In my country when you do a similar mod in your car, afer done the works you can try (try because is an orrible place to live in italy, and too much things don't go good, and one of these is the mod limits in your car) to go in a car office in my country this place is called "motorization" for example i have in the car document the 15" rims, for put the 17" rims in the document after i change the 15's with the 17's, i go to this car office and after examinated and try the car in the dyno, i have to pay for example 500 euros and the game is done! :grin:

red said:
If you had the correct loom and parts of course you could add the extra lambda, whether that would re-classify it for you I do not know and I think that is what Wild E. was trying to say, i.e. if you change all the parts to make use of the second lambda and potentially reduce the emissions of your early car, how do they re-class this? who will decide if this is acceptable.

I don't think he was suggesting to switch engines with an ecoboost but just asking whether if you did that in your country would someone then decide your Puma is Euro 5?

It's not worth you going to the trouble of changing the parts to use the extra Lambda if there's not someone who will agree with you and sign it off as Euro 3

Thanks. Yeah, that is exactly what I am trying to find out here locally. I haven't found anything. It seems most people don't bother and get rid of their cars. But I don't want to. I love my Puma.

BTW: Message to the administrators. I know you try to adapt everything in good faith but I didn't call this thread "Euro 5 compliance kit: exhaust catalyst" I know you act in the best of faiths and want to simply categorise everything well. But unfortunately it is misleading, Presently I am not even interested in any kit (although I did mention that intially) other than the MHB Puma original parts, loom, ecu, sonde, exhaust and definitely not in Euro 5. I would be overjoyed with Euro 3 so that I can keep driving.

But, again, the issue does seem to be local: find some agency to homologate such a mod.

Latest posts

Back