Fiesta

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kyle.... it was good to meet you too.

Got home safely with no spillages although the car stunk of oil for about 2 days after!

I'm now the proud owner of a welder!
I bought a 220A DC MMA 'mini' inverter welder that is the size of a shoe box!

Is anyone out there clever enough to work out what size generator I would need to power this thing if I provide the specs..? I tried working it out myself and by my calculations I need a generator the size of my car!
* I don't necessarily NEED to run this on a generator, but it would be nice if I could! Even if I could run the welder long enough to tack parts together I could then take the parts home and weld them up properly.

Once I've bought a mask and some rods I can get some metal and start mocking up some brackets for the charger.
I have also got a rear strut brace that doesn't quite fit as nicely as I want so I will now be able to get that sorted.

I managed to get a wee bit of time with the car and started to mock up some of the pipework:

48643189083_a3a092219f_c.jpg

This section of pipework is the hardest. The intercooler pipe runs horizontal, through a right angle and then straight up but angling towards the rear of the car. The throttlebody is angled upwards and towards the front of the car.
Although I have got a section of pipe on the intercooler I need to add in a 'T' pipe between the throttlebody and the intercooler to spout off to the BOV, which will vent back to the inlet side. When that is in that section will be complete.
After that headache I can rough out the pipework from the filter/MAF down in the direction of where the charger will mount.
I will then be able to gauge what room I have to fit the fuel pressure regulator and catch can.

The throttlebody and the inlet will get repainted at some point as it makes the whole setup look untidy.
I may even consider painting/powdercoating the pipework....

The hardest section of pipework now done....
From intercooler, heading up through a 'T' pipe for the recirculating blow off valve and ending at the throttlebody.

48653357826_c0d2306be0_c.jpg

48653502982_926fe9f0cd_c.jpg

48652996273_08015023cd_c.jpg

Was going to mock up the section from the air filter & MAF but rain stopped proceedings.

I am considering putting the original air filter box back on but that may reduce the amount of space I need for other parts.

Looking good, can't beat seeing nice new shinny parts fitted!
How far off are you from getting the supercharger mounted?

I need to get some welding rods, a mask and a few bits of metal but won't be for a few weeks yet. I have enough parts/bits and pieces to put together/mock up until then.
Once I have those I can start mocking up a bracket to mount it. I am going to make the bracket with elongated mounting holes so I can slide/position it perfectly to align it with the existing pulleys.

Erm.... no. :oops:

I've been having problems with my daily driver (Diesel S-Max) which has been trowing error codes all over the place. The EML has been on more times than the interior light!

I couldn't diagnose it myself so in the end I had to lose a lump of cash to a mechanic who diagnosed a faulty MAP sensor.
That was replaced with a Genuine Ford item which fixed it for a whole day! EML came back.
I then replace the Intake Air temp sensor (scrap yard job) which improved it but still wouldn't extinguish the EML.
The MAF had already been replaced in the past but had different elements in it (eBay special by the looks of it) compared to a Ford one I picked up from the scrappy so that got replaced.
The intercooler was replaced too (2nd hand from eBay) as it looked like it may have had a leak.

So, now shes all fixed I'm spent out until December and then that's the run up to Christmas.... and we all know how good that time of years is at emptying out our bank accounts!

As for the Fiesta....
I have a different intercooler I am going to fit so I will need to alter the piping I have already done on the right side up to the inlet.
I've decided that I am not going to MOT the car and put it on the road. I will be fitting a towbar on the S-Max and will just hire a trailer for a couple of days when I want to take the car out to the track.
So, now I can start fitting the fuel pressure regulator, catch can and all of the other nick-nack type parts along with any brackets to mount them.
I want to put the dash back in but I need a grommet to put in the bulkhead to feed the AFR sensor wiring through but I am having trouble finding something that is big enough but also seals... something I don't think I can get.

Other things as and when:
Cam cover and inlet to be powdercoated but as I have a spare engine I will remove those parts from that and then just straight-swap them over once they are done.
Dash will get flocked.
Make my own door cards then to be flocked. Got my eye on some material I have used in the past.. clean, easy to cut and weighs next to nothing!
STILL looking for someone who is mobile to give me a price to weld up/repair the floor. Failing that I will have to trailer it somewhere.

Dreamers list:

Coilovers
Roll cage
Bucket/racing seats
Racing steering wheel and boss (I will not guy cheap on those)

Yes... we have an update!

I fitted a larger intercooler today:

49034169747_aaf0efc2d7_c.jpg

Had to change some of the pipework to accommodate the larger size:

49034169402_ca8788272c_c.jpg

Can just see the BOV in there..

I cut an angled piece of pipe so it would bend down to the throttle body at the correct angle:

49034169552_83a6159fc9_c.jpg

So, the next part of pipework is for the air feed.
There will be the filter, then the MAF and then a 'T' piece for the recirculated air from the BOV. The other end of that needs to be where the A/C compressor used to be - not an easy route!
My thoughts are to remove the bracket that supported the battery (now in boot) to give me room to get the pipework downwards. From there I'm thinking about running along the bottom of the radiator to where I need to go. My concern with that is if the MAF will end up too far away from the throttle body - would there be any effect on the air flow/MAF readings?
Second thought is to completely move the MAF to the other side of the engine bay. The problem with that is I need to get the filter and BOV return in that gap too and to extend the wiring. That could potentially cause wonky MAF readings due to the extended wiring... :?

If I remove the battery bracket I will also lose a potential mounting point for other parts I need to fit....

Another mystery that needs to be solved is the space where the A/C compressor used to be.. where I want to mount the supercharger.
There is a 'loop' of pipe for the power steering )used to be held against the front of the A/C compressor) which has the pressure switch mounted to it. I don't see the need for this 'loop' of pipe so I may look at trying to remove/relocate it but keeping the pressure switch.
I don't really want to remove the power steering unless I can convert the system to electric pump...

Looking good 👍
Why did you replace the intercooler?
Can you mount that power steering piping you mention on the bracket for the supercharger, I guess it will more or less be in the same place then.
I am looking forward to seeing the supercharger mounted!

Hmmm the intercooler..... :?

I bought a small one as I decided that would be better suited to low boost and not cause too much 'lag' as it pressurizes as the boost builds.
I then doubted the size of it and bought a bigger one as it also better suited the look of the front of the car once the bumper was on. I fitted that to the car and decided it was too big.
The small one went back on and I was satisfied with it. I proceeded to make up the pipework for the passenger side.
After a while I was doubting the size again and put the big one back on meaning I had to change/redo the pipework.
I have since sold that small intercooler to a friend so I wont be swapping it again! :lol:

After seeing the size of the intercooler that came off my 2.0 S-Max I don't know why I was worrying about the size!

Yes, I could use the supercharger bracket, but I don't know what that will be like yet. There isn't as much room 'down there' as I originally thought!
I have offered the charger up in that space and.... well, space is a premium. The charger sits in front/over/hits the oil filter so that may need to be replaced with a stubby one. If my memory serves me correctly the oil dipstick is also in the way.
I might have to move the radiator and bring the radiator support/cradle closer to the front of the car, but typically I fixed a bracket to that to stop the intercooler from moving!
The list of obstacles keeps growing the more I look at the damn car! :roll: :'(

Back