Front brake upgrade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboard

Across the Pumaverse there’s a lot of ‘go for fester ST150 front brake setup’.
I’ve tried a number of combinations using ST brakes and they don’t clear the Puma wheel.. so, what am I doing wrong???
Tks….

From what I just quickly read from this thread "ST150 Upgrade" if you have fanblade wheels you need a 3mm spacer. Is that possibly your solution?

Although, 3mm seems pretty small so it would strike me as still a tight fit & I may be tempted to go for a bigger spacer unless it has to actually be that precise.

Reactions: red
In the past I did drive with ST150 brakes in the propeller wheels. It was real tight though, something like 4-5 mm left between the rim and the caliper.
Which upgrade you do depends on your goal. Do you need more braking force? --> Get better discs/pads first and see if it's enough. I recommend www.tuninghaus.de Most of the Dutch/German club uses them and they are great.
Do you want less fade? ---> Go for bigger brakes + better discs/pads.

Last edited:
No wheel spacer - this would make sense but yeah, it’s still gonna be close.
I’ve done all I can with the original brakes and tried many combinations of pads and disc… I favour tar-ox and the brand new ST150 discs are just sat there doing sweet nothing.

I’ve done all I can with the original brakes and tried many combinations of pads and disc… I favour tar-ox and the brand new ST150 discs are just sat there doing sweet nothing.
HI, I carried out this conversation a couple of years ago, I can confirm min 3mm spacers are required for propeller wheels. I knocked up some aluminum spacers that work well.
Hi, I did the same conversion about a year ago. I can confirm you will need a 3mm spacer to clear the turbine wheels. I knocked up some 3mm thick aluminium spacers and have 2 spare if you would like them, let me know.

Attachments

• PXL_20230326_094613187.jpg
    PXL_20230326_094613187.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back