My latest Racing Puma track project.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stumc has a finished supercharged puma but based on the M45. his has been running for a couple years now. its him who sorted the mount fabrication etc. This M62 was to be his next upgrade prior to a change in plans.

Very nice project. For a long time I cannot make my mind between turbocharging or supercharging my own puma. I prefer the power delivery of a supercharger (especially in a FWD) but I have to lose the A/C which I don't want to.

Because of the TB position (after the supercharger) you need a way to bypass the boosted air once you lift the gas pedal. Of course you have the bypass valve but I don't know if that is enough. I have heard cars with 2 BOVs in order to release the pressurized air. That was a usual discussion topic in MX-5 forums and many did the so called dual throttle body conversion (one TB pre-super and one after that). Also with the BOV some had driveability issues from the transition from closed throttle to part throttle as the gas had an on-off feel. Because the bypass valve is more "linear" in operation I hope that you will not have such problems.

Also what ECU are you going to use? You refer a MAP sensor but the OEM ECU doesn't support one.

Keep up the good work. I' m looking forward to a supercharged-puma review.

Im sticking the throttle body before the supercharger as thats how the m62 is designed to operate. It has a built in bypass flap valve. That was the bypass functions as oem. The car is running on emerald k6 so can use map no problem. It can also control the boost solenoid so i can set all sorts of safety features to bypass the charger if there are any problems.

warrenpenalver said:
Im sticking the throttle body before the supercharger as thats how the m62 is designed to operate. It has a built in bypass flap valve. That was the bypass functions as oem. The car is running on emerald k6 so can use map no problem. It can also control the boost solenoid so i can set all sorts of safety features to bypass the charger if there are any problems.

Nice so you' ll not encounter the problem I mentioned. Looking forward to see this complete!

Alex

Another update...

Finally ripped out the old pedal box floor to reveal a nice mess!!
20150728_190608.jpg

Luckily once cleaned up only a few patches need welding so could have been a lot worse.

20150728_200705.jpg

Almost finished welding in new metal now.
20150809_113643.jpg

Also trial fitting the pedal box to get the position i want. Seems to be fine in pretty much the same location as the OEM pedals would be.
20150728_200629.jpg

In this picture the crowbar is where the old pedal box was so you can see how far rearward the original pedals were.
20150728_200705.jpg

Also been tidying up a few bits and painting bits needing painting. Sorted the cam cover in a "bright" colour!
20150801_130013.jpg

Im going for as many random and bright colours as i can as you might have noticed by now!!

Also epoxied and painted the supercharger outlet to match the charger itself.
20150818_204337.jpg

Also painted the mondeo throttle body to match. This is being fitted onto the charger.
20150818_204409.jpg

Also cleaned up my cat and painted with with super high temp red. Might stave off some rust for a bit! Will do the rest of the exhaust in the same red.
20150818_203953.jpg

To solve clearance between the oil sandwich plate and the supercharger, I ordered some banjos to fit in place of the original fittings. Now have plenty of clearance plus i can rotate the oil pipework to where ever i fancy for clearance.
20150804_193536.jpg

Also fitted the new large racing rear view mirror. Its so big you can see stuff almost right up the side of the car.
20150809_113649.jpg

Decided to get a few more stickers to cover scratches and brigten things up.
20150809_125350.jpg

20150809_125405.jpg

20150809_125427.jpg

Also my latest batch of parts has arrived including some nice forged rods for my engine:
20150819_221659.jpg

Very nice Warren, I'll watch this thread with interest. Are you going to lower the compression by a lot?

Also where did you get the scuttle from?

siju said:
warrenpenalver said:

Nice so you' ll not encounter the problem I mentioned. Looking forward to see this complete!

Alex

Although this can produce interesting results. In my modified MR2 supercharger at 30mph in 3rd, the supercharger was running with the BOV wide open, so charger whine and BOV noise whilst driving at 30mph :lol:

Bit of an update. Finished off tidying up the underside and now all painted, undersealed and protected with enough shultz to save the titanic! Just the box sections to fill with cavity wax and it should be sorted for a few years.

The main effort recently has been stripping down the engine. I've decided to go for forged rods and pistons now which means a bit more expense and time delay that causes but means the engine is much stronger and it means i can whack the turbo on when i feel like it without having to rebuild the engine.

First thing was strip down the head before removing it. On the puma engine you can't get to all the headbolts without removing the cams so stripping them out is the first thing.

20151008_162301.jpg

Then I can whip the bolts out and the head is off.

20151008_173046.jpg

Next turn it over and whip out the sump, oil splash plate and oil strainer.

20151010_120737.jpg

Now its time to strip out the rods and pistons ready for rebuilding when i get new pistons. You can see the difference with the standard rod next to the forged one:

20151016_141039.jpg

I might clean up the block and paint it but thats all i can do with the engine until ive got new pistons to go in.

So next thing is to start getting other bits ready. First thing is to wrap the exhaust manifold. I deliberately didnt buy the cheapest wrap as they generally are rubbish and fall apart so spent a bit more on a decent quality one which was so much easier to use too. Couple of hours work and the manifold is all done:

20151021_005107.jpg

20151021_005130.jpg

With that done it was time to sort the roof. I had sticker paul do me a union flag roof wrap which was fitted today with the help of a window tinting mate. Its actually really hard work to do! Especially as the roof is curved in both directions so loads of stretching and massaging the film to make sure it fits and doesnt have any creases in. Looks much better than the rubbish black painted roof from before:

20151025_165718.jpg

20151025_165705.jpg

20151025_165651.jpg

Coming along nicely and quickly!

What exhaust wrap is that? DEI? Looks less fibrous than the Thermotec stuff and therefore easier to wrap.

Latest posts

Back