My Sportka

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brave, brave man.

Those photos make me feel sick. So much potential for things to go wrong - at least there would be if I was doing it.

Here's a valid question for you - coming from a Puma, moreso a FRP.. Is the SportKA not a big step down, in terms of performance, looks, handling? Or have I missed something?

My ex had a StreetKa, and I agree - the engine is archaic. For the power it produces, it drinks a ridiculous amount of fuel.

The Ka was a ace little motor, everybody forgets that ford used the Ka as an introduction into rally motor sport. If you won the Ka class, they gave you the 1600s puma for 12 months, until the plug got pulled. Not sure if this happens now, could be one of the reasons why the uk's interest in rally sport is dropping off.

Awsome :) watching dash swaps always gets me wanting to do it myselfe, nut i newer find the time, or energey to try...

Minor update.

Spent saturday on a road trip with my mate to pick up my new wheels from deepest darkest Essex.

My road wheels:
20140524_171002.jpg

My track wheels with dunlop semi-slicks:
20140524_171009.jpg

Wheels fitted:
20140526_181625.jpg

You can tell the difference between normal alloys and motorsport style ones for space:
20140526_181656.jpg

that is behind 15" alloys. The original sportka wheels had only a few mm space between spoke and caliper and same to the outside of rim.

Also got my turbosmart raceport for the engine conversion:
20140422_212657.jpg

Excellent thread very interesting,we bought a SportKa to replace a previous Puma and were quickly gutted it cried out for a Puma engine and box it was thirsty and a terrible engine so off it went and another Puma found,I,ll enjoy following your progress :wink:

Finally got the dash in!!

First of all i decided to add a brace to take the flex out of the steering column:
20140606_200806.jpg

After a lot of swearing and some angle grinder action it is in:
20140606_230703.jpg

In daylight:
20140608_133001.jpg

20140608_203054.jpg

The ka clocks look a bit lost:
20140608_184809.jpg

but not a problem as my plan is to upgrade to something decent anyway.

The passenger airbag hole is going to become the second glove box access:
20140608_203116.jpg

But with a carbon lid. Its not really to store daily access stuff but it will be a accessible area to put the emerald ecu when its fitted.

Made a shelf to slide in above the standard glove box:
20140605_194610.jpg

Will card template sides for it to be bonded in later so things dont fall over the edge.

We'll done looks well, last one I saw was done in flock, keep it old school and stick with analog clocks with the tacko in the middle. If have two 15" uniroyal rain sport sitting in the shed on propeller wheels if they are any use, loads of tread, let use know if you want them?

H

Finished fitting a new set of seats. Got hold of some Sparco Torino seats with runners.

The ka being based on the mk3.5/4/5 fiesta/puma chassis means I needed to rob some "tophat" mounts from an early fiesta out the scrap yard. The reason for these is it brings the rear inner bolting point level with the floor cross brace meaning its dead easy to make the inner bracket.

Then used some 5mm aluminium strip and angle. used 5mm as that is whats needed thickness wise to conform to FIA rules so if its good enough for them then plenty safe enough for road and odd trackday use. The inner mount is as simple as the flat alloy strip with the end 40mm hammered down to meet the angle needed for the front bolt.

The outer runner mounts are 2cm (iirc) lower than the inners so i have used 2 pieces of angle to make and s shape bracket to increase the hieght. Nothing special just requires a bit of thought with a tape measure before you drill!!

Now i could just use off the shelf sparco subframes but IMO they put the seat too high so fabricating my own mounts keeps them nice and low.

This is the end result:
20140726_194508.jpg

You can see at full rearward position how much further back The seat can go compared to the drivers normal seat (also fully back).

You can see how much lower they are in this shot:
20140726_194514.jpg

And the drivers side all done:
20140728_211955.jpg

Sit a few inches lower which was the aim and it means i can push the seat back a bit further to give a better seating position.

Latest posts

Back