No power above 2000rpm. *not* below....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenRaith

I know there are a lot of threads about no power when the car is at low revs, but I have a weird one.

No power above 2000-ish RPM depending on load.

At a standstill, the engine revs fine - so presumably not bottom end related as it's be knocking and clunking like a mofo.

When driving, anything above 2000rpm with a more than minor throttle opening causes a noise like a blown exhaust, with some hissing from under the car that sounds slightly metallic. (we assumed this was cat particles buzzing around the cat housing).

It seems to respond to throttle opening; so gently accelerating in fourth/fifth at gives a gentle *prraaarrpp* from under the car, with little bit of hissing. More throttle means more noise with little more power generated. Also seems to choke a bit when coming off throttle before it starts to settle down. Sounds like it's running on four pots, not any less - if it's a misfire, it's a damned smooth one.

It has so little power it will barely reach 60, and any incline screws you entirely.

My mechanic has managed to pull the cat off (eventually!) but as it's got that L shaped piece of tubing behind it, he can only see in the front - and it looks OK.

So he's got a new cat and going to throw it on tomorrow as he's got kids to pick up etc tonight.

However, if the cat *doesn't* fix it, what are the next options? I'm aware that VCT problems would cause lack of power, but it sounds for all the world like a blocked zorst because of the way that the noise increases with more throttle - presumably if the cams weren't advancing, it wouldn't even do that. Cams not advancing also wouldn't explain why it sounds so loud.

Any one seen symptoms like the above and it *not* being an exhaust issue?

Your help gratefully received; I'm not made of money, so troubleshooting tips and shortcuts would be appreciated.

Exhaust is standard with the exception of a straight centre section. Nothing else on the engine is modified, no messing with the low speed torque restrictor or anything of that ilk - it's totally standard in that respect.

Fuel system might explain lack of power, but not noises. (there is a fuel filter to go on it)

Cam timing would explain lack of power, but surely would affect it's ability to rev up when in neutral? It feels identical in that regard - I'm assuming the cams advance when the car is unloaded to an extent, but perhaps not as much as when loaded. And I'm pretty sure it should be able to crack 60 without a problem even without cam advance.

No obvious noises from engine bay at idle, and obviously can't check engine bay when moving.

no codes other than P0443 which is talking about the fuel evap line thing, no oil pressure warnings, no battery warnings.

Car is a w-plate Millenium...

Other info:
No smell of petrol or oil in the cabin etc when this happens.

Temperature is bang on.

Steady throttle it sounds fine - so assuming it's firing properly, and fuelling properly at least *part* of the time.

Lack of power under load normally points to coil pack on its last legs but the noise is weird and sadly beyond my scope, somebody will be along with an idea shortly I am sure, sorry I can't help more :-(

Now this is a stab in the dark...

But, what if the vct pulley has slipped?

It might well let the car run ok (albeit rather advanced) and, as it kicks in, it advances too far, so the engines power charactistics go out of the window.

just playing with ideas, its the sounds that are foxing me...

I was thinking the same as you Stu. I suppose I have to ask has the cam belt been changed recently or is it overdue for changing?
Barry

Possibly overdue for a change - there was a set of inlet valves changed not long before I had the car, which points to either a slipped or badly installed cambelt.

I'll get my mech to whip the cover off and check the state of the tensioner if the cat doesn't sort it; I've not heard any interference noises so if it is a timing issue I think we're good in that regard.

FWIW it idles perfectly and revs through the range fine at idle; I'm sure if the timing was out it would be at least present with the car in neutral/revving.

Also, if the timing were out so badly that it caused major power delivery issues, surely it should throw a DTC other than evap a bit flaky - it'd at least fire up the engine check light, you'd think, due to the fuel mixture going all over the place?

You're probably right Steven but the inlet valve issue does sound like a previous cam belt issue. At least if your mechanics taking off the rocker cover you can check the cam timing as that's easy even if you don't have any special tools. As regards the cam belt tensioner it's properly tensioned when the bottom bolt is to the right of the slot on the tensioner plate. If it's the other way around it's incorrectly tensioned.
Barry

Well, I'm hoping that the old cat is FUBAR and we just can't tell because of the L shape pipe on it - it's obviously sooty so you can't see light through it. Fingers crossed the new cat brings it back to life, we pull the old one apart and find it's melted.

*crosses fingers*

*crosses toes*

Also, the inlet valves were replaced about five years ago, and I've had the car over three years now, so it's been fine since. I suppose if the tensioner has died just enough, it might have allowed the belt to jump a tooth....

That's strange that, a cat shouldn't melt but if it's blocked it would severely restrict performance so let's hope it's that.
Good luck :grin:
Barry

Do a Google image search for melted catalytic converter ;)

There was a backfire the last time it ran rough (sunday), it was fine Monday, then has been shitty ever since; it's highly unlikely that the timing jumped out, then jumped back OK.

As I have a p0443, perhaps there was a problem with unburnt fuel, it caused a problem on Sunday, got blown clear on Monday and then the lack of structure caused the cat to properly collapse on Tuesday (after a long run - 40 miles to work, natch) but it's so bad now it can't clear itself.

Might explain that whooshing noise - enough space to get gas out, but not enough to allow full revs - and it can't get up to temperature due to core collapse/melt.

Here's hoping - it'd certainly fit, as part of how a cat heats up is specifically the waffle-grid layout to absorb the heat. Just odd that I'm not seeing any DTCs for emissions, you'd think a lamda would pick that up. Maybe the lambda is screwed, too?

We'll see...

Zinc's diagnosis of faulty coil pack might be right as that would allow unburnt fuel into the exhaust which could be ignited the next time the coil pack fires and the cylinders exhaust. The only trouble I have with this is that code readers usually pick up faulty coil packs.
Barry

Yar, that and the fact that it idles fine; I'm aware that the timing of the spark would change, but the power of it?

That said, I also noticed a missing earth strap - could be poor spark caused by bad earth, not burning completely, computer compensates by adjusting fuelling, gets rich, burns out cat....

Basically, even if cat replacement fixes the immediate problem, I've got to do some research on fuel trim and check the primary fuel/ignition systems to make sure the problem doesn't recur!

To be fair, the only time it's failed to start was when the starter motor (literally) died.

Otherwise, other than the usual stuff (bushes etc) it's been pretty good. Hell, even the alternator failed in a friendly way and wasn't hard to swap!

I've just sussed why you like it, it's a millie and has Recaros. They are soooo comfortable (well they were in my RS2000). Sounds like you've had it some time.
Barry

It's done 6000 miles in the last six months, might explain why it's starting to complain :D

It's a great allrounder, will get near 40mpg on a cruise (more like 35 with me driving but then I will rag it - I've had 24mpg over a tank...), those seats are great for long journeys, stereo is loud and when you hit a backroad, you don't have to slow down.

Likes to wag it's little tail, too, with correct snapping shut of the throttle ;)

Needs some bodywork rust sorting, but otherwise it just does everything I need at the moment.

I can see me going to something grunty and rear wheel drive next (BMW 328 or similar) but for now, I'm perfectly happy with the Puma - bonkers fun for the money!

Glad I didn't go bonkers and drop £5k on something newer - my dad did that, and his car is as sheddy as mine now, pointless!

It's good to hear that Steven, it sounds like you've really bonded with your car. I bought mine because I love Fords and I really like the styling of the Puma so I've spent a lot of time on it and I'm going to keep this one for a good few years.
Barry

StevenRaith said:
So he's got a new cat and going to throw it on tomorrow as he's got kids to pick up etc tonight.
Could you explain for me the thinking behind replacing the cat at such an early troubleshooting stage?

I ask because with that error code I would have started by looking for a stuck open purge valve solenoid or similar.

Latest posts

Back