Possible panel reproduction by expressed steel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roomy

Hey Guys,

One of the members over on FPOG has approached expressed steel to ask about possible reproduction of both front wings, they have said that they will be able to produce them with a minimum interest of 10 of each per side.
Now obviously in the group alone we’ve reached this target but the more people we have interested the cheaper they will be able to do them and we don’t know estimate price at this time.

I just need a rough estimate of how many (if any) of you peeps would be interested in either just one side or both so we can pitch the interest figure back to expressed steel before getting any hard facts from them.

Kind regards
Hannah

#SAVETHEPUMAS

Hi guys just a quick update, the lists of panels that have now been donated to expressed steel is as follows:
Standard rear quarter
Roof skin
Standard Front wings
Inner sills
Floor strengtheners
FRP rear quarter

Thanks to Lee, Aaron and Simon for contributing to the cause too by selling their donation panels.

We do not have exact prices for these as yet but expressed have asked us to start placing orders with them so they can gauge interest and therefore work out a price. By doing so you are under no obligation and no deposit is needed.
The FRP panels will likely be first of production as there has already been orders placed for these then the standard panels will follow.
Orders can be placed directly with expressed steel by email or phone :)

Will update accordingly as more info comes to light.

H x

I have sent my shopping list to them, hopefully they will come up with the goods. It will be great to carry out a proper repair rather than just patch repairing all the time and the best chance of saving those Puma’s that are close to being lost forever :-(

I donated a full shell to Expressed Steel last year. Hopefully they will be able to supply the inner panels for repairing those hard to reach areas.

Cliftonpuma said:
I donated a full shell to Expressed Steel last year. Hopefully they will be able to supply the inner panels for repairing those hard to reach areas.

That was very kind of you, unfortunately they need brand new never fitted parts to replicate but they have every panel now so fingers crossed!

Roomy said:
Cliftonpuma said:

That was very kind of you, unfortunately they need brand new never fitted parts to replicate but they have every panel now so fingers crossed!
They are actually going to unpick a lot of the shell as it’s pretty rust free. New parts are best, but they are more than happy with the shell

I spoke to Mike at the Classic Ford show on Sunday and from my none too reliable memory I think he said that James had been over and that they were going to start on FRP front wings soon :grin:

Hi there
New member here.
I spoke to them this afternoon, looking for the panels myself, advised me to come here.
So what stage are people at with this as i would like to go in for it.

I wouldn't hold your breath, apparently there's been lots of promises from Expressed Steel. You can currently get the full and part sill repair panels from them.
It would make more sense for Expressed Steel to first produce rear wheel-arches/rear inner-arches/rear quarters/inner sills repair panels, which would keep lots of the current standard Puma on the road, rather than the smaller volume FRP front wings (which, I may be wrong, but I thought were aluminium originally).
Still, it's probably more about profit, rather than keeping old cars on the road.

Frp wings and quarters will come first, James and Sam are in contact and they’ve said roughly 3 weeks on these. As the frp panels have been ordered by folk already so these will be produced first! Followed by standard panels in the sequence that have been ordered most. They now have all the panels donated to reproduce. As I’ve said above, we must ring expressed steel to show interest and order (for which there’s no obligation) so they know which panel to produce first according to demand.

H

If Pressed Steel gave some approximate prices, like other professional companies do, people might be more inclined to order. As its the rear portion of the Puma that has the main rust problems, it makes more sense when replacing the side sills, to also replace the rear wheel-arches/rear inner-arches/rear quarters/inner sills repair panels at the same time, to do the job properly.
How many sales must Pressed Steel have lost over the last 2+ years, by not producing pricing for the panels, leading to lots of Puma being scrapped, instead of saved?

I have had an email discussion with them and my order for inner sills and rear quarters could take 10 months to come to fruition!! :cry:
Also they can’t yet give any indication of price, seems strange to ask people to place orders yet don’t know if anyone will be able or willing to afford them.

That's poor customer service. Either you supply the goods concerned or you don't. No point leaving people hanging.

I got sills from Poland via eBay, £90 for the pair. Although the body repair man that fitted them said they were a poor fit - too long and didn't match to welding points on floor. They are 'do-able' though, he managed to adapt them.

As for front wings, I was lucky, I found a pair locally from someone breaking a Puma. They were a bit crusty on the bottom but I wire brushed off the worst of it and gave it a few coats of zinc primer. My body guy tidied them up and sprayed them in the correct colour. Probably not the most cost-effective repair, but we've little choice until someone comes up with suitable replacements.

Attachments

• puma front wings prep.jpg
    puma front wings prep.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 178
  • puma ns rear arch inner.jpg
    puma ns rear arch inner.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 178
  • puma os sill repair welding.jpg
    puma os sill repair welding.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 178
The FRP rear quarters are now available on their website:
https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/products/ford/racing-puma-rh-rear-quarter-panel-pus5/?fbclid=IwAR2P4Gye_0fp2fbKluvt_1H0xtZkI47GDkrrsEImQYMatyORj7myhNzR-cw

https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/products/ford/racing-puma-lh-rear-quarter-panel-pus6/?fbclid=IwAR3OP0Gcjq0HNXQ-L6hKtShg3K8JmrLiIsA8C5wRi7zJioCu2P7TmJ9lVHk

£650+VAT

evilrob said:
The FRP rear quarters are now available on their website:
https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/products/ford/racing-puma-rh-rear-quarter-panel-pus5/?fbclid=IwAR2P4Gye_0fp2fbKluvt_1H0xtZkI47GDkrrsEImQYMatyORj7myhNzR-cw

https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/products/ford/racing-puma-lh-rear-quarter-panel-pus6/?fbclid=IwAR3OP0Gcjq0HNXQ-L6hKtShg3K8JmrLiIsA8C5wRi7zJioCu2P7TmJ9lVHk

£650+VAT

Thanks Rob was just about to do the same!

Lower rear qtr repair panels also :D

We have also launched a pair of Racing Puma rear wing lower repair panels, perfect if you only need to replace the bottom section of the rear quarter.

https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/products/ford/racing-puma-rear-wing-lower-repair-pus11/

https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/products/ford/racing-puma-lh-rear-wing-lower-repair-pus12/

Simonavis said:
I have had an email discussion with them and my order for inner sills and rear quarters could take 10 months to come to fruition!! :cry:
Also they can’t yet give any indication of price, seems strange to ask people to place orders yet don’t know if anyone will be able or willing to afford them.

They need to work out the demand on each panel as to what sequence they’ll be reproduced, the easiest way for them to do that is to have people order them under no obligation and no deposit. Rather than have a few enthusiasts groups send them inaccurate/vague numbers.
H x

Latest posts

Back