Puma 1.7 PAS pipe to rack union

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T16

Dear Puma people....!

I have experienced a ******* of a job replacing some front PAS pipes on my mums Puma which essentially looked like they came from the bottom of the sea.

This car has these double pipes at the front rather than a loop which I see on some diagrams, and I actually managed to source brand new genuine pipes for the front to replace.

The issue came with the fitting/union on the LH side of the car. THere is a long rubber hose with a male thread on the end, and another long thin steel pipe which runs parallel and connects to the pipes at the front.

The corrosion was so bad on the male fitting on the rubber pipe, the threads are basically gone. The rubber hose goes all the way to the bottom union on the steering rack, which looks like an absolute pig to get to.

I have two main questions to get me out of this hole I am in.... (my mother needs the car and its been on ramps for 2 weeks now as various things snap/seize, plastic clips disintegrate in my hands etc)

1) Can I still get a new hose from the rack to the front pas pipes?

2) Is there a guaranteed method for this extremely limited access to the bottom union on the rack... I read here is maybe an 18mm fitting... and that people have managed with a crows foot? I have plenty crows feet, but I saw a mention of a double hex flex head crows foot?!!? Happy to get one if I know 100% that it will get in there without me having to remove more parts and jack up the engine etc, there are very limited tools at my mums place, and the less I have to remove off the car the better tbh.

If anyone has any advice, it would be very very welcome, this job has cascaded into a proper pain!

Thanks will do. Spoke to him, and will need to get my tablet charged up to send him some pics hopefully of the part.

Have a look at my thread. I had the very similar problem. OK, my car is LHD, so the pipeing is a bit different, but it all comes down to the same thing. I had the front section remade at hydraulic shop and they made it in sections so it is easier to assemble. I sacrificed a 18 mm spanner as could not buy the one for the pipes. The pictures are there

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=26486&start=325

Latest posts

Back